How To Cook Canned Spinach
Popeye LOVED dark green, nutritious, tasty canned spinach and so will YOU! Once you know how to cook canned spinach! .
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 slices of bacon cut into 5-6 pieces each
- 2 slices onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can of spinach drained well
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp hot sauce like Franks or Texas Pete
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, add the cut up slices of bacon and allow those to cook till crispy. Do not pour off the bacon grease.
Add the onion and garlic and allow to cook till fragrant and softening (about 3 minutes).
Pour in the drained can of spinach, stock, sugar, hot sauce and vinegar and stir well.
Stir frequently and continue to heat over medium heat until heated through.
When heated through, the greens are ready to serve, taste first and add salt and pepper until you are satisfied with the taste. If they taste bitter at all, add more salt. Add more hot sauce, per your tastes.
PRO TIP: Spinach and other greens are often bitter. If you are noticing bitter flavors, add more salt. Salt covers bitter flavors well.
- The main idea is to add the following flavors to the spinach: smoke, savory meat, salt, sugar, vinegar and heat. You don’t have to stick straight to bacon.
- You can branch out and try smoked turkey wings, fat back, etc. '
- If you are vegetarian, change the chicken stock to vegetable stock or water and use a few drops of liquid smoke instead of any meat.
Calories: 181kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 530mg | Potassium: 1352mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 20600IU | Vitamin C: 66.7mg | Calcium: 218mg | Iron: 6.1mg