Chili Relleno Sauce
A flavorful bright EASY Chili Relleno sauce that's ready in minutes and is so much better than store bought, you'll wonder why you ever bought some in a can!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbs all purpose flour
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef broth or any other broth
- 4 oz tomato paste
Add the spices to a pan over medium heat on the stove top and allow the spices to toast in the pan (about 1-2 minutes). Add the flour and toast that as well for 1 minute.
Add the vegetable oil, broth and paste. Bring to a simmer and serve. Sauce will thicken as you simmer it. If it becomes too thick, add a little water or broth. If you want it thicker, simmer more.
- While you could just pour everything in together, you'll find that your sauce has a lot more flavor if you allow the spices to toast for a bit first. It brings out the flavors more.
- Always allow raw flour to toast a bit before adding the liquid, this cooks out the "flour" taste, allowing the flour to do its job of thickening the sauce.
- If you watch the video, you will see that I am using homemade tomato paste, you will probably be using the tomato paste in the small can, and that is just fine.
- After you have made this according to the directions the first time, it is a lovely sauce to adjust to your own tastes. If you prefer more heat, add more chili powder, more hints of cumin, add more of that, etc.
- While this sauce is great over the top of my easy chili relleno casserole, it also works as a sauce for tacos, eggs, sandwiches, burritos, deli wraps, you get the idea, it's great with a lot of things.
Calories: 77kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 643mg | Potassium: 210mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 518IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg