Southern Chicken Salad Recipe
This simple recipe includes instructions for how to go rogue and make your own chicken salad concoction!
Servings: 6 servings
- ½ Rotisserie Chicken - chopped or shredded
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 stalk of celery - chopped small
- 1 cup dark purple grapes - the sweetest you can find - cut in half
- 1 tsp kosher salt - plus more per taste
- 1 tsp black cracked pepper - plus more per taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped pecans
Prepare all of the ingredients by chopping, slicing or whatever is required.
Place all ingredients in a medium sized bowl
Mix gently with a rubber spatula
- Use fully cooked fresh chicken for this dish.
- Always use a combination of the flavors indicated above (chicken, creamy, sweet, sour, crunchy and seasoning) and you’ll be golden
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or other greens (especially terrific with bitter greens) with crackers.
- Serve on a toasted bun - something with some toothiness is wonderful - like a pretzel bun or a croissant is perfect.
- When you toast the bun, add just a smidge of butter and a sprinkle of salt for extra crispiness. You can thank me later for that little tip!
- If you can get your hands on a slice of fresh tomato - hello tomato with this chicken salad!
- French Fries too - just saying. Total fat? Nawwww.
PRO TIP: Toast the pecans for added flavor.
- The grapes make a difference - use the sweetest dark purple seedless grapes you can find, make sure to taste them at the grocery before buying. Those fingerling grapes are almost always sweet, if you can find them.
- Cumin and curry are not a flavor that everyone enjoys - taste it as you go.
- Salt and pepper are a must. MUST.
- PRO TIP: If you allow this easy rotisserie chicken salad to sit in the fridge, covered of course, for a few hours - the flavors have time to meld, marry and generally get to know each other - its a good thing. Let them become friends before you serve up the easy rotisserie chicken salad.
- Change up the flavors by using different types of fruit like:
- Add some other savory flavors like chives or scallions.
Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 170mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 148IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg