How to Cook Canned Black Eyed Peas
Here's a great little recipe for how to cook canned black eyed peas!
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 slice of thick cut bacon cut into 5 pieces (regular if you don’t have thick)
- 1 14.5 oz can black eyed peas drained
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp granulated white sugar
- ½ tsp vinegar white or cider
- Salt and Pepper to taste
In a medium sized saucepan, cook the pieces bacon over medium heat until crispy.
When bacon is crispy, add the drained peas, water, butter, garlic and onion powders, cayenne pepper (if you like a tiny bit of spice), sugar and the vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
Stir frequently until heated through and the water begins to boil (a couple of minutes). Serve hot.
- Make sure to drain the canned peas well, you could use this water, but it doesn’t taste very good.
- This recipe only serves 2 people, so if you are having more, you can double, triple or increase the recipe to any size you want, just make sure to add the spices at the increased amount too.
- This recipe is excellent with greens and cornbread! According to Southern legend it brings luck and prosperity too! It's worth a try! At least it brings fiber for sure!