How To Boil Potatoes
READY in LESS THAN 30 MINUTES! Boiling potatoes is an essential skill for many recipes. Learn how right here PLUS, in case you didn't know, it's delicious just eaten this way too!
Servings: 4 servings
large stock pot
- 4 whole potatoes
- 1 quart water or enough water to cover the cauliflower
- 1 tbsp salt
- salt and pepper to taste
Peel and slice the potatoes if that is how you will be using them in the completed recipe. Whole, skin on potatoes can be boiled too.
Place the potatoes into a medium sized saucepan and cover with water. Add more water if 1 quart doesn't cover all of the pieces.
Add 1 tbsp of salt to the water. Heat on high for 5-7 minutes until the water is simmering.
Allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes, then check by piercing it with a fork for slices. If whole potatoes, the simmering will take about 10 minutes. If you plan to eat these as is, cook it until a fork goes easily through the entire piece (10 minutes or so).
When cooked the way you want, pour into a colander to drain.
Once drained, use for your dish or add topping that is listed in the notes. Serve hot.
PRO TIP: The smaller the pieces are, the more quickly they will cook, no matter HOW you are cooking them. Be careful so as not to over cook. Drain it well to remove the extra water.
- If you plan to eat right away, then you will want more tender (so that the fork easily goes through the entire piece).
- Are you using it in a recipe that will be cooked more? Then only boil it until a fork can pierce but doesn't want to go completely through.
- You will notice that it turns a slightly different color when cooked. This is normal.
- Save the water you boiled in if you are making a sauce, it can be used to thin and flavor the sauce.
- To make a great sauce for these potatoes to eat as is, mix 2 Tbs butter with 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 Cup milk, 1/4 parmesan cheese and heat over medium heat until butter is melted and all the ingredients are liquid. Pour this over your hot potatoes. YUM!
Calories: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1777mg | Potassium: 880mg | Fiber: 5g | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 7mg