Easy Thanksgiving Ham
Smoky, Sweet and DELICIOUS Holiday Ham that doesn’t take up your oven for the WHOLE DAY! This EASY Thanksgiving Ham will have your family licking their plates clean!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 5 lb Picnic Shoulder Ham
- 1 Can Dr. Pepper
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tbs minced garlic in oil
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar divided
- 2 tbs grain mustard
- 1 tsp ground chipotle powder
- 1 Tbs Onion Powder
Cut a hash pattern on the fat side of the ham.
Place the ham into the crockpot
In a sauce pan or frying pan on the stove top over medium heat, heat the can of Dr. Pepper, butter, garlic, ½ cup of the brown sugar, the chipotle powder, mustard and onion powder until the butter has melted and the Dr. Pepper mix over the top of the ham, making sure that some of it get’s down into the hash pattern that you have cut.
Take the remaining ½ Cup of brown sugar and pat it gently into the hash pattern on the top of the ham. (If you accidentally used all of the brown sugar in the sauce, no worries. Either leave this part off or pack another ½ cup on top of the ham - which is what I recommend).
Put the lid on the crockpot and set it on low. Cook for 6-8 hours. Every 3 hours, baste the ham with the juices from the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Make sure to cook your ham with the fatty side facing UP! Then has it cooks, some of that fat will melt and slide over the meat and give it terrific flavor!
- Baste your ham as it cooks this helps keep it moist and flavorful.
- You’ll want to make sure that your crockpot is large enough for your ham. It takes a larger crockpot. I’ve put a link to the size that I use for a 4-5 lb ham.
- When buying ham, plan for ⅓ - ½ lb per person and then add another full pound overall for the bone and the fat that is on the ham. So, ham for 6 people would be 3 lb plus 1 lb = at least a 4 lb ham.
- Before you start, be sure you know what Divided in a Recipe Means.
Calories: 962kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 74g | Fat: 60g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 219mg | Sodium: 4078mg | Potassium: 1025mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 189IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 3mg