How to Cook Liver Pudding
This recipe shows you how to get a nice crispy crust on your liver pudding and how to make a seasoned breading.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb liver pudding cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick slabs
- 1 cup instant flour such as Wondra
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs bacon grease
- 2 Tbs whole butter
Cut 4 ¼ inch slices of the scrapple and lay on a clean paper towel (this helps remove moisture).
In a large bowl, mix the Wondra flour, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt and pepper and mix well, set aside.
In a 10” cast iron skillet, heat the bacon grease and butter until hot and a drop of water spatters enthusiastically.
While the pan is heating, very carefully dredge the scrapple slices in the wondra flour. Pat the flour into the scrapple gently.
Lay each piece of scrapple into the hot oil after it is dredged in the flour. Fry as many as 3-4 at a time.
Cook for 3 minutes per side without disturbing during cooking, turn the pieces very gently.
Remove to a clean paper towel to drain.
- It is ok to leave the cayenne pepper off is you do not like a little hot flavor in your food.
- Make sure to use the kosher salt and not table salt.
- If using table salt, reduce to “just a pinch” The wondra flour makes a nice crispy exterior, if you use regular flour, it is ok, the edges just might not be as crusty.
Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 754mg | Potassium: 179mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2590IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 3mg