Mexican Corn Bread Muffins
Cheesy, fluffy, slightly sweet and just the PERFECT amount of heat, these Mexican Cornbread Muffins go GREAT with chili’s, soups and beans
Servings: 36 mini muffins
- 1 box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 large eggs
- 4 oz chopped green chilis
- 15 oz creamed corn
- 4 oz grated pepper jack cheese
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs Sour Cream
- 2 Tbs Granulated White Sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
Preheat the oven to 350
Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
Spray mini muffin tin cups and the space between with non stick spray. Line mini muffin tin with paper liners and then spray the inside of the muffin paper cups.
Use a scoop and fill the muffin cups with the mix to about ⅔ full.
Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned on the top.
Pro Tip: Finely chop a fresh jalapeño for perfect crunch and heat (do not use the seeds and ribs).
- When mixing up the muffins, allow them to sit fully mixed for about 5 minutes because this gives them time to “fluff up” a little and will make a lighter, flakier muffin.
- I use muffin papers for easy clean up. These muffins are very sticky. Be sure to spray the muffin cup area, the top of the muffin AND THE INSIDE OF THE MUFFIN PAPERS to be sure that you get to eat all of the muffin!
- This recipe is for mini-muffins. You CAN make these as full size muffins and the recipe will make about 12 full size muffins. You will find that you may have to bake them a little longer if making full size.
- If you have a convection function on your stove, turn it on for the last 3 minutes of baking for a more brown top.
- Only allow the muffins to rest in the muffin tins for about 2 minutes to allow them to set and then remove right away to a place to cool. Otherwise they might stick.
- Use Pepper Jack Cheese that has larger chunks of pepper.
If you have a convection oven, use convection for the last 2 minutes to promote the browning.
- No Convection? That’s ok, use your broiler for the last 1 minute.
- If you need to divide into two muffin tins, bake for half the time on one rack, then change racks and turn the pans around front to back so that everything bakes evenly.
- ¼ Cup grated fresh onion instead of onion powder
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic instead of garlic powder.
- 1 tsp ground ancho chili instead of cayenne
- 1 tsp of paprika instead of cayenne.
- Same amount of maple syrup, honey or raw sugar instead of white sugar.
Calories: 36kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 132mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg