Italian Summer Soup
Fresh garden vegetables and a spicy earthy italian sausage in a light broth makes this italian summer soup one in a million. Prepped in just minutes and you have the best summer crockpot recipe on the menu!
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 tbs vegetable oil any cooking oil will do
- 2 lbs Italian Sausage squeezed from casing
- 2 Celery Stalks small chop
- 2 lbs zucchini cut into bite size pieces
- 15.5 oz diced tomatoes one can
- 2 bell peppers any color, small chop
- 1 small onion white or yellow, chopped
- 3 Cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbs Italian seasoning
- ½ Cup parmesan cheese grated
Squeeze the meat from inside of the sausage casings. Discard casings.
Pour 2 Tbs oil into a frying pan. Over medium heat on the stovetop in a frying pan, cook the sausage until it is just past pink.
Add the cooked sausage, celery, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, onion, broth, salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, Italian seasoning to the crockpot and stir.
Set crockpot on low and put lid on. Cook for 4-6 hours until vegetables are soft but not falling apart.
Add parmesan cheese just before serving and stir through. (Is awesome garnished with sour cream and green onions)
PRO TIP: Adding a dollop of sour cream or thick plain yogurt and a fresh garnish like chives or green onions really sets this dish off.
- If you are concerned about cutting up an onion, instead just use frozen chopped onions (they make life super easy!) or 1 Tbs of onion powder.
- Same goes with the bell peppers. You can usually find those frozen as well.
- The italian sausage will squeeze right out of its casing, but can then be a pain to chop up, just use a potato masher and mash the sausage as it cooks until it is the size you prefer and you’ll have soup size sausage in no time.
- No broth? No problem! Use a few bouillon cubes instead (don’t add any salt until the soup is done if you go this route) or use a big tablespoon of Better than Bouillon.
- Have other veggies you want to try? Do it!
- Garden fresh tomatoes also work in this recipe, chop up 3 or so good sized fresh tomatoes (peel the skin off first).
- Can’t find italian sausage? Try this with any fresh sausage in a casing or even breakfast sausage will work.
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 1040mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 877IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 2mg