Cheerwine Barbecue Sauce
Sweet, Tangy and just enough heat to make your senses SIT UP and TAKE NOTICE! You'll LOVE this BBQ sauce created with your favorite soda! Cheerwine Barbecue Sauce is good on EVERYTHING (including your finger!).
Servings: 4 servings
For the Cheerwine BBQ Sauce
- 1 Cup Cheerwine
- ¼ Cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ Cup honey
- ½ Cup Dark Karo Syrup
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 2 C Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbs Minced Garlic
- 3 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbs Yellow Mustard
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
Heat all of the sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently. Eventually, the sauce will cook down and thicken (about 20 minutes). You want the sauce thick enough to coat the back of a spoon leaving a clear line when you run your finger across it (see photo or video).
Remove the sauce from the heat.
Place ⅓ of the sauce in a bowl to reserve for use at the table.
Use the remainder of the sauce to paint onto your meat or veggies as you grill. (Extra points for charing some of the bbq sauce because, honestly, that is the BEST!
- Add more or less red pepper flakes to increase or decrease the heat.
- This will make about a cup and a half of bbq sauce (so you won’t have a lot left over to use on other stuff). Make a double amount if you want it for other things.
- Be sure to reserve some for use at the table.
- If the sauce has completely cooled, you might want to warm it slightly before serving at the table. This helps to keep the meat warm AND thins the sauce slightly.
- You’ll know the sauce is done when it coats the back of a spoon and you can draw a line through it with your finger and the line stays on the back of the spoon.
Calories: 730kcal | Carbohydrates: 167g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 1321mg | Potassium: 861mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 162g | Vitamin A: 414IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 198mg | Iron: 4mg