Chocolate Saltine Toffee with Peppermints
This recipe from www.loavesanddishes.net
Servings: 16 servings
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers - about 30-40
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks
- 1 Cup dark brown sugar
- 24 oz chocolate chips
- Kosher salt - to taste
- 1/2 cup peppermints approximate amount - add more or less according to your own esthetic - crushed
Preheat the oven to 425.
In a sauce pan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for about 5-6 minutes - stir occasionally.
Put down parchment or a silpat mat or greased aluminum foil on a rimmed baking sheet. Lay saltine crackers out to cover the baking sheet (the pan must have a rim. It's important).
Pour the brown sugar/butter boiling mixture over the crackers, cover as evenly as possible
Bake at 425 for 4-5 minutes until bubbly.
Remove the sheet pan from the oven and pour the chips over the crackers. Don’t worry - they will melt. When they melt, use the back of a wooden spoon or a spatula and spread the chocolate over the crackers. Sprinkle Kosher salt evenly over the surface.
Allow to cool a bit on the counter and then sprinkle with crushed peppermints
Place the entire baking sheet into the fridge or even the freezer until the chocolate is hard - about an hour. Break it into pieces or cut with a knife or even a pizza cutter to create different sized pieces.
Store in a resealable container.
- The crackers don't have to be perfectly lined up on the pan, they are going to scootch around when you pour the butter/sugar mix over the top.
- Line your pan with something - aluminum foil, parchment paper... something.
- Try to pour the butter sugar mix as evenly around as possible. It's going to spread out on its own, but you don't want it so very thick in the middle of the pan.
- Sprinkle the chips and then let them sit for about 5 minutes. They will look like they aren't doing anything at all, but no worries, they are melting and you'll be able to spread them with a spatula.
- If you don't have a spatula, the back of a large spoon will work.
- Let it cool just a little bit before you add the peppermints.
- Allow the whole pan to completely cool before you break apart into pieces or you'll have a gooey mess.
Calories: 417kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 150mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 43g | Vitamin A: 382IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 1mg