Zesty Cucumber Tomato Salad
This excellent and quick salad is a perfect use for those extra cucumbers from the garden or for a fresh treat in the winter time
Servings: 4 people
- 2 small cucumbers - cut into small chunky pie pieces
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes - chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion like Vidalia - chopped
- ½ Cup Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs granulated white sugar
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground onion powder
- ½ tsp ground garlic powder
Lay Cucumber pieces out on a paper towel on top of a cookie sheet and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt. Let stand for 30 minutes (paper towel will become damp).
Rinse the cucumbers after 30 minutes and drain well.
In a large bowl, place the cucumbers, tomatoes and onion.
Whisk together, in a small bowel, the vinegar, sugar, mustard, thyme, onion and garlic powders. Pour this mix over the cucumber mix and toss together.
Cover this salad and refrigerate for 4 hours.
Serve with a slotted spoon to drain the dressing off as it is served.
PRO TIP: This salad starts to get soupy after a few hours, it's best to make it and then serve it. If you are carrying this to a pot luck, you might want to take the ingredients in individual containers and mix at the event.
PRO TIP: Make this salad your own by adding other ingredients or leaving others out. This works well with the following:
- Feel free to cut the cucumbers into disks, we simply find that cutting them into pie shaped pieces is the easiest to eat.
- This salad works with either regular sized tomatoes or the cherry tomatoes, which are perfect if you are making this salad in the winter time.
- If you don’t have garden fresh cucumbers, then please use the hot house cucumbers (the long ones at the grocery that are usually wrapped in plastic wrap) they say that the skin is much more pleasant on these cukes, but I still peel them.
- Adjust the ingredients as you see fit, an approximation for this salad usually works. Experiment a little!
- Plain Yogurt
Calories: 62kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 412mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Vitamin C: 15.6mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 0.6mg