How to Cook Canned Baked Beans
This recipe is for how to cook canned baked bean on the stove top but the post also has directions for how to cook canned baked beans in the oven and in a microwave.
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 slice of thick cut applewood smoked bacon
- 2 Tbs onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can of baked beans 8.5 oz Bushes or 18 oz B&M
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 Tbs molasses
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs yellow mustard
- 1 Tbs ketchup
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, cook the piece of bacon until crispy.
Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside. Cook the onion and garlic in the bacon grease. (If you are using onion and garlic powder instead, move on to the next step and add those powders when you are adding the other ingredients).
Crumble the cooled bacon and add it back to the cooking pan.
Add all the other ingredients and give it a stir and taste to see if you are pleased with the taste. If you feel it needs more of one ingredient or another add that ingredient and taste again.
Cook till heated through and bubbly.
- Feel free to experiment with what you add to your recipe! The secret is to get a little sweet, sour, hot, acid and smoky in your beans to amp up the flavor.
- Remember that some people don’t really like the texture of onions in their dish. If this is the case for you, add 1 tsp onion powder instead
- No garlic on hand? Add ½ tsp garlic powder instead.
- If you are cooking for a larger crowd, then simply increase the ingredients by doubling or tripling the recipe. It is OK to mix different brands of baked beans together, it might even taste better that way!
- Taste as you go. Baked beans are already cooked and you aren’t adding anything that isn’t already cooked so taste as you go and this will let you know if you are on the right track with your beans or not!
- Just use a regular slice of bacon if that’s what you have for the recipe