READY IN JUST 20 MINUTES! Grandma’s Stewed Potatoes are Soft and buttery with loads of down home “pot liquor” that’s perfect for sopping up with a piece of bread!
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 Russet Potatoes - peeled.
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 bouillon cube
- 4 Tbs Butter
- 2 Tbs Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
Peel the potatoes and cut into large slices or quarters.
Place the potatoes into a large sauce pan and cover with water. Add the bouillon cube.
Heat over medium heat until the potatoes are fork tender.
Drain the potatoes into a colander with a pan below it to catch the cooking water. Set potatoes aside.
In the same pan that the potatoes boiled in, melt the butter and add the 2 Tbs of flour. Stir together and allow the flour to cook for at least 1 full minute.
Add the salt, pepper, paprika, onion and garlic powder to the rouxe.
Add the potatoes back to the sauce pan.
Pour enough of the cooking water into the pan to give the potatoes a nice saucey stew (about ½ to ¾ of the cooking water will work).
Heat over medium heat till heated through and thickened. Taste before serving for salt and pepper and add more if needed. Serve hot.
- Cutting the potatoes into smaller pieces will help the dish to cook more quickly, however, the potatoes tend to disappear into the “stew” if you do so.
- Russet potatoes make a delicious sauce for this dish while the red and yellow gold potatoes tend to hold on to their “inner stew” a little longer.
- You will definitely want to peel the potatoes for this dish. The smooth creaminess is disrupted by skins. .
- No paprika? Just leave it off.
- The more butter, the better everything tastes! Feel free to add more.
PRO TIP: The Bouillon cube in the cooking water helps the flavor get way down deep into the potatoes as they cook.
- For the bouillon cube: 1 tsp chicken broth concentrate.
- Water and bouillon cube: Any type of stock
- Adding the cooking water back: Milk (see video)
- Spices: Change out and add what you like: Thyme, Oregano, Cayenne, Cumin, etc.
- Butter: Margarine or any butter substitute or even cooking oil.
Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 954mg | Potassium: 891mg | Fiber: 5g | Vitamin A: 600IU | Vitamin C: 24.3mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 7.2mg