Best Ever Fettuccine Alfredo
Creamy, rich, perfectly seasoned, cheesy, warm and easy to boot! You'll want to keep this recipe for Best Ever Fettuccini Alfredo in your back pocket for the next time things are busy but you aren't willing to compromise on dinner.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 8 servings
large spoon or spatula
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese – cut into 1 inch cubes.
- ¼ cup of Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small box of fettuccine noodles enough for 8 servings
- Fresh oregano for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste the tasting is very important – see the instructions
In a heavy medium sized sauce pan, heat the butter and cream cheese over low heat.
Add the parmesan cheese and cream. Stir frequently. Whisk briskly if there are lumps.
Add garlic powder, black cracked pepper and dried oregano.
Stir frequently so that sauce does not stick to the bottom of the pan. If it is starting to stick, turn the temperature down.
While the ingredients in step one are melting, cook the fettucini noodles according to package instructions except DO NOT SALT THE WATER.
When ready to serve, TASTE the sauce. Add salt if needed. Salt likely won't be needed because parmesan is usually so salty on it's own. THEN, dip one of the cooked noodles into the sauce and taste that to see if it is salty enough. Add salt to the sauce if needed to make the combination taste right.
At the table, pour the sauce over the noodles and mix gently and serve immediately.
SUBSTITUTIONS ARE FINE! HERE ARE SOME TO TRY...
- Make Fettuccini Alfredo with milk by using whole milk instead of cream. The sauce will be thinner and less creamy, but it works in a pinch.
- Use different hard cheeses for slightly different flavors. Try making Fettuccini Alfredo with Pecorina Romano or other hard cheeses.
- Garlic isn't your thing? Leave it out entirely.
- Don't have oregano? Just leave it off.
- Use margarine instead of butter? OK.
- You can substitute the light cream cheese if needed.
- Try to use a better quality parmesan cheese, but if all you have is the kind in the green can, that works too.
- You can use half and half instead of cream if needed.
MAKE SURE TO HEAT ON LOW HEAT
If you heat over higher heat than low, be sure to stir almost constantly because it will want to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- If you notice lumps that won't stir out, use a whisk and whisk it very quickly. The lumps will go away.
- You will want to serve this in the fashion of the person who invented Fettuccini Alfredo. Prepare the noodles and the sauce. At the table, pour the sauce over the noodles and stir gently then serve immediately.
- This sauce starts to clump up as soon as it starts to cool. Just heat back up to thin back out.
- When reheating, add milk to thin it to the consistency you want.
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 63mg | Potassium: 27mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 462IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 1mg