Canned Sweet Potato Casserole
An easy recipe for Canned Sweet Potato Casserole
Servings: 2 servings
- 15.5 oz Canned Yams or Sweet Potatoes
- 1/4 Cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbs butter whole, unsalted
- 1/2 Cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
Preheat the oven to 375.
Drain the canned yams/ sweet potatoes then Place them into a medium saucepan on the stovetop with the heat set on medium.
Add the brown sugar, butter, 1/2 Cup marshmallows, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, pepper, vanilla, almond extract and pecans and use a potato masher (or mixer) to mash the potatoes and mix all the ingredients together with the potatoes as they warm. Allow the potato mix to warm until all of the butter is melted and the marshmallows have become soft, sticky and are mixing into the mashed potatoes. Do not allow to boil or to cook hard enough to stick to the pan.
Spray a 1 quart baking dish with cooking spray and pour the contents of the sauce pan into the baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows.
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until the tops of the marshmallows are golden brown.
PRO TIP: Be sure to add the lemon juice, this does NOT give a lemony flavor, instead, it brightens the other flavors and helps them meld together better
- It is ok to substitute margarine for the butter if you need to, but I don’t recommend it.
- It is ok to substitute full size marshmallows if you need to, but cut them into smaller pieces to mix into the sweet potato mixture so that they melt easily.
- Be sure to use real vanilla not imitation. The imitation will give a fake yucky vanilla taste.
- You can always add more pecans if you want.
- It is fine to make this the day or two before your event.
- This freezes well, but I haven’t tried it myself.
- It does make lovely leftovers.
- Reheat in the oven or in the microwave.
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 124g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 442mg | Potassium: 1925mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 55g | Vitamin A: 660IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 1.7mg