Sauerkraut and Hot Dogs
Delicious Crockpot style sauerkraut and hot dogs. Easy and delicious!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 lb sauerkraut deli style in bag or canned. Drain each
- 2 carrots chopped in disks or smaller
- 2 potatoes fist size, any type. Peel if russet type, cut into bite sized pieces.
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth any type broth will do or equivalent broth concentrate
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 8 hot dogs Cut into pieces or disks
- 1/2 Cup sour cream Optional
- salt and pepper to taste Do NOT add salt until you taste just before serving.
Cut all ingredients to correct size.
Add all ingredients except sour cream to the crockpot.
Mix well and apply lid. Set the crockpot on low and cook for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
30 minutes before serving, add the sour cream, stir and replace the lid. This item is optional and adds a wonderful creaminess. Add salt and pepper to taste. Actually taste, because it will already be salty from the sauerkraut.
PRO TIP: My family loves some tangy apple cut into small cubes in this dish (I know that sounds weird) but a little granny smith apple cut into pencil eraser size cubes and added an hour before serving is pretty darn good.
- For this recipe in particular, you will want to use the best sauerkraut and hot dogs that you can. The kraut that is in the refrigerated deli section of the grocery in a bag is best. Nathans or BallPark All Beef Weenies are best.
- Be sure to drain the sauerkraut before using, otherwise your final dish will be very soupy and quite salty.
- The sour cream ads a creaminess to the final dish however, it can be a flavor that not everyone enjoys. Start by adding half to the actual dish and then allow folks to add the rest at the table until you know if your family likes the sour cream or not.
- There are many substitutions that can be made. Onion powder for the onion, garlic powder for the garlic, broth concentrate for the broth, canned kraut for the bagged, brats instead of hot dogs.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 1134mg | Potassium: 344mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2658IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 3mg