Southern Mexican Cornbread
Kicking Mexican Cornbread that is MOIST and a tiny bit sweet. Enjoy with chili, beans or just by itself!
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 cup self rising cornmeal mix I used Tenda Bake
- ½ Cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbs baking powder
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 14 oz can creamed corn
- 2 whole chopped fresh jalapenos - seeds and ribs removed - chopped.
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp red pepper chili flakes
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chilis
- ½ Cup Monterey Jack Cheese - shredded.
Preheat the oven to 350
Spray a 9x9 or 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside
In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal mix, all purpose flour, baking powder, whole milk, eggs, salt, vegetable oil, onion, creamed corn, jalapenos, sugar and red pepper flakes. Mix well - but don’t over mix.
Pour half of the batter into the baking dish.
Sprinkle the cheddar cheese and the green chilis over the top of the batter.
Pour the remainder of the batter over the cheese and chilis.
Sprinkle the monterey jack cheese on top.
Bake for 40 minutes until the top is browned and the cornbread is baked through.
PRO TIP: If this cornbread is just too moist for you, cut back on the creamed corn and use only half a can.
- Use oven mitts! I know - you want to be like me and use your kitchen towels for everything - but honey, we are slinging stuff in a hurry and I don’t want you to get burned!
- You might think “My mama didn’t use green chilis”. Perhaps your mama didn’t use green chilis, but she should have. They add a ton of flavor.
- I’m using some red pepper chili flakes here, but that is only because I ran out of my smoked ancho chili flakes. If you have some of those, use them!
- The fresh jalapeno. You might be thinking, I just don’t want that in my cornbread It just adds a wonderful freshness and as long as you don’t get the white ribs or the seeds in there - it won’t make it too hot.
- Try this cornbread with some honey sweetened butter. You won’t be sorry. Promise.
- Reheating cornbread: Microwave? NO! You will end up with cornbread that just grows and grows in your mouth! Eww. So dry that way. Instead, heat some butter in a cast iron skillet over medium on the stove top. When it is melted and hot - put the cornbread on and toast it on both sides. Then, put a little pat of butter on the top. OR toast in the toaster oven with a little butter. Perfect.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 481mg | Potassium: 544mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 390IU | Vitamin C: 13.2mg | Calcium: 272mg | Iron: 2mg