Ultimate Southern Pimento Cheese
A simple and easy recipe for ultimate southern pimento cheese
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 oz 1/2 block white VERY SHARP cheddar cheese (I used Cabots Extra Sharp) (DO NOT USE PRESHREDDED CHEESE)
- 4 oz 1/2 block orange creamy sharp cheese (I used Hellavagood Sharp) (DO NOT USE PRESHREDDED CHEESE)
- ½ CUP Mayonnaise Use Dukes for this recipe, if not available then Hellmans, Blue Plate or Aldi store brand.
- ½ cup pimento slices Drain well
- 3 stalks of green onion – chopped use the white and green parts
- ½ tsp kosher salt NOT table salt – kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp hot sauce Franks or Cholulas work best
- ¼ tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
Grate the cheeses with a hand grater on the largest holes available. Place the cheese in a large bowl.
Add all of the ingredients to the bowl. Use a rubber spatula and gently mix all ingredients together. Do not over mix – you don’t want all of your cheese breaking.
Put plastic wrap over the top and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Overnight is better as this allows the flavors to marry and get to know each other better.
Serve on sandwiches, as a grilled cheese, in your grits, on crackers, on a baked potato, on celery or other veggies – you name it!
PRO TIP: Let the pimento cheese sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours and overnight is best (12 hours). This allows time for the flavors to marry and meld. It's worth the wait.
- Use the best cheese you can find, I give best brands to use in the recipe.
- The cheese will taste BEST if you blend two types of cheese (see recipe).
- Hand grate the cheese for best flavor, prepackaged grated cheese has something added to keep it from sticking to itself and that is not the best type for pimento cheese.
- Use the Mayonnaise brand is IMPORTANT! That is where you get creamy tang from. Preferred brands are listed.
- You will be tempted to use the pimentos that are jarred up and chopped small already. Don't do it. Chop your own - it makes the flavor just right.
- When mixing the cheese together, just fold and be SO GENTLE! Only mix until everything is just mixed together.
- IF you do not want any spicy flavor in your pimento cheese then leave the cayenne out, but it does give a lot of flavor.
- This recipe makes a little more than what you would buy at the store. Remember, this is a southern staple and it is MEANT to be shared!
- Do not try to freeze Ultimate Southern Pimento Cheese because it won't work and will make a gloopy mess. Ewwww.
Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 64mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 680IU | Vitamin C: 11.2mg | Calcium: 209mg | Iron: 0.5mg