My Mom's Strawberry Pie with Jello
READY for the FRIDGE in 25 Minutes AND It TASTES like SUNSHINE! This EASY Homemade Strawberry Pie is so ridiculously good that your tongue is gonna wag out and slap your eyeballs!
Servings: 8 servings
For the filling:
- 1 quart of strawberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ pack strawberry jello 3 oz box
For the Crust
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbs sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbs milk
For the Filling
Stir sugar and cornstarch together with a fork or whisk in a large sauce pan. Gradually pour the boiling water into this mixture and place on stove top on medium high heat. Stir continuously over medium high heat until mixture turns from clear colored liquid to a milky colored gel (mixture will start to boil – just keep stirring until it turns milky and a gel consistency – about 7 minutes).
Once gel consistency is formed – remove pan from the heat and stir in the ½ pack strawberry flavored jello and the strawberries. Set aside to cool.
For the Pie Shell
In a 9” pie plate, mix flour, salt, sugar with a fork. Make a well in the center and pour in the vegetable oil and the milk. Gently mix all ingredients together until a dough forms. Press the dough into the pie plate and using fingers, pinch into fluted design at top edge. Poke at least 5 fork holes with the tines of a dinner fork into the bottom of the crust. (to allow steam to escape without buckling the crust). Bake in 425 oven for 10 mintues. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
PRO TIP: Make sure to cut the strawberries into bite sized pieces. Sometimes this is in half and sometimes this is quarters. The halves look nice in the pie, but it can be hard to eat that way.
- Even if Strawberries aren't quite in season, this recipe works. The jello gives it all the flavor it needs!
- For a cool addition, you can add some bananas for a strawberry banana pie!
- It is always best to make TWO pies instead of one. That way you use the ENTIRE package of jello AND you have a pie to give away!
- The dough for the crust looks very wet when you get it mixed together. No worries! That is how it should look!
- Make SURE to poke fork holes in the pie crust to allow it to vent.
Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Sodium: 149mg | Potassium: 211mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 69.5mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1.6mg