Easy Chicken Stock
This recipe for easy chicken stock is simple, delicious and economical
Servings: 8 pints
- 4 lbs chicken assorted pieces
- 16 Cups water
- 3 celery whole sticks, leaves and all
- 2 medium onions quartered
- ½ head of garlic
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs salt
In a large stainless steel stock pot, combine chicken and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onions, peppercorns, bay leaves and salt. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 2 hours or until the chicken is tender.
Ladle off the chicken stock into another container and allow to cool. Do not disturb the chicken and vegetables in the bottom of the stockpot.
Remove the chicken and vegetables with tongs
Strain the remaining stock through a cheesecloth lined sieve.
Cool until fat solidifies, then skim the fat from the stock.
Your stock is now ready to use or to preserve.
PRO TIP: The skins of onions and garlic add a lot of color to your broth or stock! Cut those vegetables in half at the equator and add them papery skin and all to the simmer. Since you won't be eating these veggies, it doesn't matter at all. Just wash good first to remove any dirt.
PRO TIP: To add a LOT more flavor, brown the veggies in the bottom of the pan before adding the water to make the chicken stock.
- Keep the used chicken carcass after a rotisserie chicken to make stock with!
- The leftover turkey carcass at Thanksgiving makes wonderful turkey stock, just use it the same way you use chicken stock.
- Keep a freezer bag in the freezer labeled "Chicken Parts" and any time that you have a back, tail, neck or wing tip that you won't be using, throw it in the resealable bag. This makes PERFECT chicken stock!
- Another freezer bag labeled "Vegetable parts" also makes a great place to put the tops of carrots, the end parts of onions, the leafy parts of celery. Just throw those all in a bag together and dump into your stockpot when you are ready to make stock!
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 986mg | Potassium: 285mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg