Easy Blueberry Pie
A delicious and easy to make blueberry pie that will WOW your friends and family!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 Refrigerated pie crusts feel free to make your own crust!
- ¾ C Granulated Sugar
- ¼ C cornstarch
- The zest of one lemon
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 Cups Blueberries
- 1 Tbs butter cut into pea sized pieces, refrigerate till ready to use.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbs heavy cream
- 2 Tbs Raw sugar
Preheat the oven to 400 – and place a large cookie sheet on the lower rack of the oven to catch drips
Prepare your pie plate with non stick cooking spray. Place one crust into your pie pan. Then set aside.
Stir the sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the blueberries and gently toss until blueberries are coated. Turn blueberries out into the bottom layer of pie crust.
Take top crust and make lattice by cutting into strips and weaving onto top of pie. Pinch edges together firmly to make fluted design.
In a small bowl, beat the egg yoke and cream together – paint onto the top crust of the pie. Sprinkle top with the 2 Tbs of sugar. Place the tiny pieces of butter around the top of the pie.
Place pie in the refrigerator for at least 5 mins.
Place pie on the middle wrack of the oven and bake at 400 for 20 mins then decrease the temp to 350 for 35-45 mins.
- I recommend using refrigerated pie crust for the ease of making the pie, however, a homemade crust is so much better. Do that if you can!
- Taste the blueberries before you start making the pie, if they are not very sweet berries, increase the sugar by 1/4 cup.
- Use fresh blueberries, if they are in season (late spring/ early summer on the east coast).
- Gently rinse your blueberries and allow them to dry completely before using.
- Use frozen blueberries if you can not find fresh.
- The lemon zest adds plenty of freshness and is important to the flavor balance, don't leave that part out.
- Serve with a fresh vanilla ice cream - oh man! So good!
PRO TIP: The crust on this pie is made even more perfect by using an egg wash and then coat the whole top with about 4 Tbs raw sugar. This gives a lovely brown and crunchy top. Of course, this is 2 Tbs more than I recommend in the recipe, but I know there are some daring people out there.
Serving: 1eighth | Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 226mg | Potassium: 126mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 165IU | Vitamin C: 10.8mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1.5mg