How to Cook Canned Green Beans on the Stove
This recipe gives the complete instructions for how to cook green beans on the stove top so they taste totally home made.
- 1 16 oz can of green beans
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 slice of bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh water
- 1 tsp of bouillon concentrate OR 1 bouillon cube
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
On the stovetop over medium heat place a small saucepan and the butter and bacon. Cook the bacon till crispy.
Drain the water from the green beans (unless it is a pre seasoned green bean).
Add the beans, 1/2 cup fresh water, bouillon, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes (optional) to the bacon/butter mix and then taste once all of that is mixed in. Follow with salt and pepper according to your tastes.
Heat over medium heat until the beans are heated through. If you prefer soft southern style green beans, continue to cook until beans are soft.
- Drain the water out of the green bean can UNLESS you have purchased the green beans that have flavorings already in them EX: Margaret Holmes Seasoned Italian Green Beans.
- Many people will tell you that the water in the canned green beans contains lots of flavors, but personally, depending on what kind of beans you have purchased, you might not like the flavor of the water! (The water won’t hurt you, so if it is too late to drain it off, don’t worry about it).
- If you don’t have some of the ingredients in the recipe, just don’t worry about it. The only things that are absolutely essential are the salt and pepper.
- I know you are saying to yourself, “Sugar?”, the answer is, “Yes, sugar, sugar” (say with a southern accent). You won’t be sorry.
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 102mg | Potassium: 530mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 2020IU | Vitamin C: 29.4mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2.5mg