ALL THE SECRETS TO PERFECT CROCKPOT POT ROAST
This is a recipe for the BEST and EASIEST Pot Roast, EVER!
For the Pot Roast
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 3-4 lb chuck roast - well marbled with fat
- 1 packet of Au Jus
- 1 packet of Ranch seasoning mix
- 4 pepperoncini peppers
- ⅓ cup water
- 4 Bay leaves
- 2 tsp minced garlic OR 1 head of garlic sliced in half like a book
For the Gravy
- 2 Tbs Corn Starch
- 2 tsp water
For the Pot Roast
Sprinkle the surface of the chuck roast with salt and pepper on both sides.
Place the chuck roast into the bottom of a medium size crockpot. Set the crockpot on low
Sprinkle the Au Jus, Ranch Seasoning over the top of the roast.
Place the pepperoncini peppers, water, bay leaves and minced garlic in the crockpot too.
Place the lid on securely.
Allow to cook on low for at least 8 hours. After 8 hours you may remove the lid and using a fork, see if the roast is tender. If it is not falling apart (fork tender), place the lid back on and cook for another hour or more until it is fork tender and falling apart.
When falling apart, remove to a serving platter OR you may use a large slotted spoon to remove the meat from the crockpot directly onto plates. Do not serve/eat the Bay leaves. Some people really like to eat the peppers and the garlic cloves if you have used those. The juice left in the crock pot is used to make the gravy in the next step.
Mix the cornstarch and water together to form a slurry. The water must be cool and the pan juices hot.
PRO TIP: If you LOVE carrots, potatoes and onions in your pot roast, simply Quarter and Onion, Cut your carrots into chunks and quarter some potatoes and add those to the crockpot 4 hours before you plan to serve dinner.
- Make sure to use ONLY Chuck Roast for this recipe.
- The pepperonccini peppers are optional, they don't really add heat, they add flavor and you won't be eating them anyway.
- A Thyme bundle, like that shown in the photos makes a nice flavor with this pot roast as well.
- If you are using the bulk Ranch dressing, as in the video, use 3 Tablespoons. Otherwise, use a single packet.