Do you know that saying, “Easy as Pie”? It should be “Easy as Cobbler!”. Nothing could be more simple than mixing some fresh fruit with sugar and flour and then topping with this simple batter. I promise that when you set it on the table, your family will exclaim, “You LOVE us SO!”. (Ok, not really, but that sounded fun, didn’t it?).
Just as a notice – Loaves and Dishes will be on vacation the weeks of July 13-27. We will be posting two recipes per week during that time and hope you will continue to visit as usual. Our usual vacation spot does not have wifi/internet connection and therefore our usual lightening fast response times via social media and for messages left here on the website might be a tiny bit more delayed than usual. However, you can look forward to some peach blueberry cobbler, sharp cheese dip and Sarah’s wonderful Ginger Salad dressing to help keep you busy until I am back. I will be resting up, unplugging a bit, sampling new things and making plans for what to bring you in the future. Now – back to some COBBLER!
Nothing says summer like a peach blueberry cobbler. Both are in season and they taste divine together. I totally recommend that you take 15 minutes and put this tasty cobbler together.
Those of you who have come to agree with the tastbuds of Mark Spraker should know that Mark said, “This cobbler crust is so light and airy – its wonderful!”.
Recipe Inspiration for Peach Blueberry Cobbler
I actually make a similar cobbler with blackberries and adapted the crust to match the fresh ingredients I had on hand. A friend of mine (Clay’s Mom – from Clays Three Bean Casserole fame) invited me to go pick blueberries with her last week. The deer had already claimed most of the crop, but I was able to pick about 3 cups full. I had several white flesh peaches in the fridge at home – so it seemed the perfect marriage for a dessert when the family was on the way over for dinner.
As it turns out, it was.
I hope you will enjoy this as much as we have!
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. ~ Matthew 7: 13-14
- For the filling
- 3 Cups of Blueberries
- 3 Cups of peeled and pitted peaches
- 1 ¼ Cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- For the Crust
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ Cup whole milk
- ½ Cup cream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter – melted
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp black cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the fruit, sugar and flour together for the filling and pour into a 3 quart baking dish.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together slowly. Add the milk, cream and butter slowly and then beat on medium for 20 secs.
- Spoon the batter over the top of the fruit and make sure it covers completely. Sprinkle the top with the nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and place in the middle of the preheated oven. Bake x 45 minutes and then check every 5 minutes until golden brown and the batter is set and doesn’t jiggle any longer when you shake the pan.