Fast, Easy and the QUICKEST way to get hot dogs on the table in a hurry! How to Microwave a Hot Dog will cover the Best Microwave Hot Dog Recipes Out there!
Why This Recipe Works
- Best Hot Dog Recipes there are for the microwave
- You can choose between three different ways
- Works with ANY Hot Dog!
How It’s Done
Wrap the hot dog in a damp paper towel.
Microwave for 25 seconds.
Repeat for 15 second intervals until heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Is It OK to Microwave a Hot Dog?
Yes, it’s fine. You’ll want to know exactly how to do so or you’ll end up with a hotdog with exploded tough ends and a cold center!
Check below for the three best ways to microwave a hot dog.
How Long to Microwave a Hot Dog?
30 secs and then for 15 second intervals until heated through.
Microwave Vs. Boil
- We prefer boiled or grilled hot dogs, but really, it’s up to you and sometimes getting something to eat RIGHT NOW is more important than flavor.
- If you are concerned about boiling water, I can show you how to do that too!
- If you follow the directions below though, you’ll get a lot of flavor from your microwaved hot dog!
Are Hot Dogs PreCooked?
Yes, hot dogs are precooked and completely safe to eat right out of the package.
They will taste better if you cook them first.
Can You Eat a Hot Dog Cold?
Yes, ABSOLUTELY! They taste better cooked first though.
Can you Get Sick From Undercooked Hot Dogs?
Not unless your hot dog is out of date, moldy or spoiled in some other way because hot dogs are already cooked when you buy them.
Can I Microwave a frozen Hot Dog?
Yes, you can. You will need to use the thaw function on your microwave first though.
- Place your hot dog on a microwave safe plate.
- Cover with a wet paper towel
- Set the microwave to “thaw”
- Thaw for 30 secs and then check the hot dog. If it is thawed, proceed to the cooking instructions. If it is still frozen in parts, continue to “thaw” in 30 second intervals until completely thawed.
PRO TIP: You can put your hot dog in a ziplock bag and run it under hot water from the kitchen sink (or put the water in a bowl with the hot dog in the bag) and it will thaw very quickly.
How to Microwave a Hot Dog Bun
To microwave a hot dog bun,
- Poke a small hole in a quart size zip lock bag.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water into the bag and
- Then put the bun in a plastic bag and
- Seal the bag.
- Microwave on high for 5 secs. Check the bun, if not warm enough, repeat until warmed.
How to Microwave in Water
We do NOT recommend this method, however if you really want to do this method, this is how it’s done…
- Place hot dog in a microwave safe bowl and cover with water.
- Heat on high for 1 minute.
- Stir the water and
- Check temp of water and hot dog.
- Repeat in 30 second interval until heated through.
CAUTION: The water will be HOT. Be VERY CAREFUL removing it from the microwave. It is BEST to use a fork to remove the hot dog and THEN allow the water to cool before removing the bowl of water.
PRO TIP: You will add a TON of FLAVOR by cooking the hot dog in chicken broth instead of water.
How to Microwave in a Wet Paper Towel
Check out the recipe below for how to microwave a hot dog in a paper towel.
How to Steam a Hot Dog in the Microwave
Check out the recipe below for the best way to steam a hot dog in the microwave.
You can also simply place the hot dog on a microwave safe dish.
- Microwave for 25 seconds,
- Remove the hot dog, roll it around on the plate
- Repeat in 15 second intervals until heated through. Roll the hot dog on the plate between each interval.
PRO TIP: If you simply microwave your hot dog on high for more than 30 seconds, you find that the ends explode, harden and burn. Allowing the hot dog to rest every 15 seconds and rolling it around on the plate helps to spread the heat out a little.
How to Microwave a Hot Dog and Bun?
We recommend preparing the bun and the hot dog separately.
However, if you just don’t have time.
- Wrap the bun and the hot dog in a damp paper towel and
- microwave for 20 secs.
- Check and turn the hot dog in the bun, if not completely warm,
- repeat at 10 second intervals until heated through.
IMPORTANT: The bun tends to heat more quickly than the hot dog and may develop hardened places if you warm it this way.
How to reheat Hot dogs in a microwave
To reheat hotdogs in the microwave,
- wrap them in a damp paper towel (wet the paper towel and squeeze as much water back out as you can, then gently pull the paper towel apart to flatten)
- Microwave on high for 20 seconds and repeat at 10 second intervals until heated through as you prefer.
How Long Does a Cooked Hot Dog Keep?
- A cooked hot dog, if kept covered and refrigerated should be good for 5 days.
- Do not allow cooked hot dogs to sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- And HERE is everything you ever wanted to know about hot dog food safety!
And Finally, How Long to Microwave a Hot Dog When Pregnant?
The same amount of time you microwave any hot dog. Hot dogs are precooked so no worries, my dear.
What To Serve With Microwaved Hot Dogs?
TIPS & TRICKS for the perfect Microwaved Hot Dog
- Start with a great hot dog! All beef hot dogs are what I usually recommend.
- It’s important to remember that your microwave will be different than mine. They all have different power ratings and some are very powerful. Use care and start slow until you know the power of your own microwave.
- It is IMPORTANT to use a good quality paper towel so that little paper towel fibers don’t come off on your hot dog.
- You can microwave up to 8 hot dogs at a time this way, but wrap them individually. If you are doing a whole pack, microwave for 1 minute to begin and then do 30 second intervals. Change their positions around between intervals.
- Soaking the paper towels in chicken broth will add a TON of flavor to your hot dogs!
- Be sure to steam your buns by removing the twist tie, flicking some water into the hot dog bun bag and then microwaving the entire bag of buns for 25 seconds.
- One of our favorite hot dogs in a BACON WRAPPED HOT DOG!
PRO TIP: To revive a stale bun, place it into a plastic bag, flick a few drops of water into the bag and then microwave for 10 seconds.
YA’LL HELP ME OUT, OK?
Please leave me a comment and 5 STAR ( 🌟 🌟🌟🌟 🌟 ) review, I ALWAYS love to hear from you and your comments MAKE MY DAY! (Plus, it helps me out by letting everyone know that this is the place to find good recipes!)
How to Microwave Hot Dogs
- 4 Tbs Water
- 1 Hot Dog
- 1 Bun
- Toppings of choice
- Wet a paper towel with the 4 Tbs of water. Squeeze out any excess water from the paper towel.
- Wrap the paper towel around the hot dog loosely.
- Heat on high for 30 seconds.
- Check if the hot dog is hot enough. Be careful, it might be hot.
- Repeat in 15 second intervals until hot dog is heated through.
- Place hot dog in bun
- Top with your choice of toppings!
- You can use this recipe for as many hot dogs as you like, but wrap them individually
- If you are cooking more hot dogs, increase the time accordingly.
- Use a good quality paper towel to avoid the fibers coming off on your hot dog.
- If you don’t have paper towels, use plastic wrap instead.
A Verse To Share
Often when hard times come around, I’m pretty quick to blame the devil. He’s a tricky old liar afterall. He has evil ways.
Perhaps I should examine if those things are evil or if they are just hard, it can be confusing sometimes.
Hebrews tells us not to lose heart over these things. A father disciplines the ones he loves and that is what helps them grow properly and sustain themselves later on.
Consider it. I encourage you to open your Bible and read the entire passage…
Hebrews 12: 11
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.