The EASIEST, FASTEST and BEST way to freeze chicken is right here in how to freeze chicken. Save money and TIME!
Why This Recipe Works?
- Saves Money!
How It’s Done
STEP 1. Label the freezer bag with today’s date, how many and what is in the bag. You may also want to put a “USE BY” date that is 6 months to 1 year from now.
STEP 2. Place the chicken Into the Freezer Bag
STEP 3. Close the freezer bag and squeeze out as much air as you can.
How To Freeze Chicken
To freeze chicken, place the chicken into a freezer bag and lay as flat as possible. Squeeze out as much air from the bag as you can. Label with today’s date, how many and what is in the bag. You may want to put a “USE BY” date of 6 months to 1 year.
Freezing Chicken How Long?
Freeze whole cuts of chicken like breasts, thighs, legs etc.,, wrapped well with no air in the package (as described below), kept at zero degrees for up to 1 year. Ground chicken for 6 months.
What Goes With Chicken?
We always love a baked potato or microwave sweet potato with our chicken. Green Beans with New Potatoes is another good choice as is Death by Mac and Cheese! Round out your dinner with Sweet Tea and Pretzel Salad (it’s really a dessert) and you’ll have a perfect meal!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Freeze Cooked Chicken?
Yes! Absolutely you can freeze a cooked Chicken. It is the same procedure as the raw chicken. Make sure to label your package and use it in the next 4 months or so.
Cooked Chicken doesn’t keep nearly as long as raw chicken, so take that into consideration in your dinner plans. Use it pretty quickly.
How To Freeze Cooked Chicken
Use the same procedure as freezing raw chicken, put the chicken in a freezer bag, remove as much air as possible and label the bag. Freeze for up to 4 months.
Can You Freeze Raw Chicken?
Yes! It only takes a few minutes to do! So, the next time you find chicken on sale or you are not going to be able to eat the meat you bought! Simply put it in a freezer bag, label it and put it in the freezer!
How Long Can You Keep Chicken in the Freezer?
It is generally good for 4 months – 1 year, however, according to the USDA, meat kept at 0 degrees is good indefinitely. To be safe though, I don’t keep meat for more than a year and I check it for freezer burn before using if I know its been in there for a while!
Is It Safe To Eat Two Year Old Frozen Chicken?
That really depends on how well the meat has been wrapped, how much air is in the package and how steady the temp has been in the freezer. If the meat has been kept solidly at 0 degrees, then it should be fine. If you notice many ice crystals, it is probably time to throw it out.
Do I Salt Chicken Before Freezing?
You do NOT need to salt chicken before freezing. When you thaw the chicken, then you will want to salt it or marinate it or do whatever preparations you usually do to your chicken before cooking it.
Does Freezing Chicken Make It Tough?
It does not make your chicken tough. Freezing it does not tenderize it either though so, whatever quality of chicken you start with is the quality of chicken that you will end up with.
How Long Can You Freeze Chicken
You can, if handled properly and kept at the right temperature for a year.
How To Thaw Chicken
To thaw chicken, Fill a large bowl or a clean kitchen sink with tepid (room temperature) water. Place in a sealable plastic bag bag. Place the chicken filled bag into the water. Turn the chicken over every 10 minutes and replace the water if it becomes cold. The chicken will thaw in about 20-40 minutes depending on how thick the package is.
Does Freezing Affect the Taste?
Freezing chicken does not affect its taste as long as it has not been burnt. Freezer burnt meat does not taste good.
How To Freeze Chicken to Avoid Freezer Burn.
The main points is to avoid freezer burn …
- Remove as much air as possible from the freezer bag.
- Make sure there are no holes in your freezer bag.
- Keep at a steady temp as close to 0 as possible.
Is It Safe to Refreeze Thawed Chicken That Has Already Been Frozen?
According to the USDA, it is safe as long as the meat has been handled properly. That said, my mother always taught me to NEVER do this. It is BEST to cook the meat and then freeze it if you are needing to store it for a while.
Meat that has been refrozen after being thawed without being cooked first will lose some of its textural qualities and may have a slightly funny taste. Here is a great reference on freezing and refrigerating foods of various types.
How To Know If Frozen Meat Is Bad
Do you see ice c? Does the meat appear white and dry? How long has it been in the freezer?
If you notice….
- The meat appears encased in ice crystals or frost
- Meat appears dry.
- The meat has been in the freezer longer than 6 months.
- There was a lot of air in the package.
Then, the meat might be bad and you should throw it out.
If You Enjoyed this Chicken Recipe, You Might Also Enjoy…
If You Want To Know More About Freezing Other Foods, Check Out….
Hey, Ya’ll, Help Me Out, OK?
Leave me a 5 STAR comment in the comment section below. This helps other people to find recipes on Loaves and Dishes!
How to Freeze Chicken
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs
- Label the freezer bag with a sharpie marker to indicate what will be in the bag and how many. Label with today's date and a "USE BY" date (6 months to 1 year from now).
- Place the chicken into the freezer bag and lay flat
- Squeeze as much air as possible from the bag.
- Seal the bag.
- Place the bag of chicken into the freezer and lay flat so that they will freeze flat.
- Use good quality freezer bags (this doesn't necessarily mean name brand). Just check to make sure that the bag feels heavy and thick in your hand and that the seal works very well.
- It's so easy to use the type of bag with the zippers, but I've had more bag failures with the zipper bags than with the press and seal type bags.
- Buy yourself a sharpie marker to keep in the kitchen in your "junk" drawer OR tape it to the front of your freezer bag box. Then you'll always have one.
- The flater that you can make the bag, the better for saving space in your freezer.
- When putting things in the freezer, put the newer things on the bottom of the stack so that the older things are near the top and you'll use those first.
- Squeeze air out of the bag after you put the meat into the bag by rolling it up. Air in the bag will equal freezer burn later.
A VERSE TO SHARE
Are you tempted by good stuff?
1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.