Leftover holiday Turkey? NO PROBLEM! When you know HOW TO FREEZE Leftover Turkey, you’ll be saving money, time and have Leftover Turkey you can use later!
Why This Recipe Works
- You Can SAVE a ton of money by buying on sale.
- It tastes the same after it has been in the icebox! Who knew?
- Having It in the freezer is like having an entire meal ready to go!
Here’s How You Do It.
STEP 1. Make sure it is in a container you want to freeze it in (zip lock freezer bag, wrapped in plastic wrap and butcher paper?). Write on the container the date you frozen it, a use by date
STEP 2. Place it in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Leftover Turkey?
Yes, you can freeze Leftover Turkey easily but just placing it in the freezer. This does not affect the taste of Leftover Turkey. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Can You Freeze Leftover Turkey with bone?
Yes, you can freeze a bone in Leftover Turkey, just follow these directions. It’s best to remove the turkey from the bone for reheating purposes though.
Can You Freeze A Whole Turkey?
Yes, absolutely you can! Simply follow the directions below.
Can I Freeze a Leftover Turkey?
Yep! Sure can! This recipe will show you how. It’s the same for all kinds of Leftover Turkey!
What is the Best Way To Freeze A Leftover Turkey?
The very best way to freeze a Leftover Turkey is to see the recipe card below and use the instructions for wrapping in plastic wrap followed by freezer paper. Freezer paper can be found at the grocery store where you will find plastic wrap, aluminum foil and parchment paper.
Can I Eat Leftover Turkey That Has Been Frozen For A Year or More?
That is really a judgement call. Essentially, if the meat has been frozen at 32F, it should be fine. However, freezer burn can set in and that will ruin the meat. Check the meat well for freezer burn before preparing it.
How To Know If Frozen Leftover Turkey is Bad
If you notice….
- The meat appears encased in ice crystals or frost
- Meat is very light colored and dry
- The meat has been in the freezer longer than 6 months.
- There was a lot of air in the package.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze it. Place the slices in a freezer safe package (plastic bags) and place in the ice box. This will keep for 3-6 months.
How to Thaw Leftover Turkey
- Remove the package from the freezer wrapping.
- Place the Leftover Turkey in the refrigerator.
- After 2-3 days the Leftover Turkey should be thawed.
- Remove the package from the freezer
- Place it in a large plastic zip top bag.
- Place in a large bowl of cool water or in a very clean sink.
- Check every 30 minutes replace the water at least hourly.
- When thawed, place in the refrigerator.
How Long Does It Take Leftover Turkey To Freeze?
That depends on how much you are trying to freeze. A large Leftover Turkey may take 24 hours to freeze. A small Leftover Turkey may only take a few hours
How Long Can You Freeze Leftover Turkey?
Leftover Turkey that is wrapped in a sturdy freezer package can last 3-6 months easily. You’ll want to follow the instructions for how to freeze it that are in the card below.
Does Freezing It Change The Taste?
Freezing It does not change the taste or texture at all. Leftover Turkey that has been frozen tastes exactly as you would expect and this is a great way to save it for later.
Tips and Tricks
- Buy more than you need when it is on sale and save some for later!
- Use your bird soon. Don’t let it stay frozen longer than 6 months.
- Remember that Leftover Turkey will go bad after you thaw it, use it in a reasonable time.
- Don’t try to save it if it is on the verge of spoiling, it will still spoil quickly when you thaw it.
- To thaw it, place it in the refrigerator on the day before you plan to use it.
- Great info about your holiday turkey!
- This also works for Turkey Breast!
- Ground turkey is a lovely way to enjoy this delicious bird! Try the Best Recipe for How to Cook Ground Turkey!
If You Enjoyed This Recipe, You Might Also Want To See…
Ya’ll Help Me Out, OK?
Please leave me a 5 STAR comment below. This helps others find Loaves and Dishes on the internet!
How to Freeze Leftover Turkey
- 1 lb Leftover Turkey
- Use a sharpie marker to write on the zip lock bag : today’s date, use by date (3-6 months), how many days until expired. Squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible and seal. Place into the freezer. Read on for freezing whole turkey.
- If freezing a whole turkey, Freeze the turkey in the store wrap container for no more than 2-3 weeks.
- If you need to freeze for longer, then wrap the turkey inside the store container with several layers of plastic wrap followed by several layers of freezer paper. Secure well with tape. Be sure to label the Cooked Ham well.
- Place the turkey in the freezer until needed.
- Buy more Turkey than you need when it is on sale and freeze some for later!
- Use your frozen turkey as soon as you can. Don’t let it stay frozen longer than 6 months.
- Remember that turkey will go bad after you thaw it, use it quickly.
- Don’t try to freeze turkey that is on the verge of spoiling, it will still spoil quickly when you thaw it.
- To thaw turkey, place it in the refrigerator a day or two before you plan to use it.
A VERSE TO SHARE
I’ve been struggling ya’ll. I’ve been angry about some stuff that happened in the past few days and that has “stolen” my gratitude (which is the wrong attitude by the way). Nobody stole anything. It’s my fault, I’m in control of what affects me.
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.