Creamy, cheesy and soft as a cloud with a delightful crunchy top crust. This Easy Cheesy Southern Squash Casserole is like the one your favorite Aunt always brought to family reunions!
Why This Recipe For Squash Casserole Works
- You probably already have the ingredients in the pantry
- That reliable taste of squash, buttery crackers and fluffy cheese! YUM!
- Preparations for squash casserole take less than 20 minutes!
Let’s See How to Make an Easy Cheesy Southern Squash Casserole
Find some beautiful smaller yellow squash for squash casserole.
Grate half of the squash and cut the rest into bite sized disk quarters
Saute the squash to remove as much water as possible
Mix the other ingredients together in a bowl, then mix the squash in an pour everything into a prepared casserole dish
Add the cracker crumb top and bake! Serve WARM! YUMMM!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
HOW DO YOU COOK YELLOW SQUASH IN THE OVEN?
Simply follow the directions in this recipe for squash casserole.
Why Do I Have To Pre Cook the Squash?
Squash are sometimes FULL of water. Precooking them helps to remove that water. If you don’t, your casserole runs the risk of being soupy!
How Do I PreCook the Squash?
In this recipe for squash casserole, I recommend a saute, but feel free to cook them in the oven, microwave or whatever method you prefer.
The main idea is to just get the water out.
IS YELLOW SQUASH A SUMMER SQUASH?
You guessed it, yellow squash are a summer squash. Another favorite summer squash is zucchini. (For everyone but Mr. Loaves and Dishes).
There’s all KINDS of interesting information out there about squash just check your search engine! Wow.
Some of the best things you can combine with any summer squash?
- Yummy cheeses – like the cheese found here (Parm and sharp cheddar).
- Fresh herbs – Thyme is added in this dish but basil is also great with summer squashes.
- Garlic – universally works well with summer squash.
Winter squashes are butternut squash, acorn squash and pumpkins. Those have a different flavor profile. So, we won’t cover that here.
How Long Does Squash Casserole Last?
This casserole will last 5 days if kept covered in the fridge.
Do not allow this to sit out for more than 2 hours.
Can I Freeze Easy Cheesy Squash Casserole?
Yes, you CAN freeze it. Cover with high quality freezer safe wrap and then freeze for up to 3 months. You may notice a slight change in consistency on thawing.
What Do I Serve With Easy Cheesy Southern Squash Casserole?
TIPS & TRICKS for Easy Cheesy Southern Squash Casserole
- Choose young small brightly colored yellow squash with smooth skin. If you notice bad places, if they are huge or if the skin is starting to wrinkle then move along. Don’t choose squash that are soft when you squeeze them.
- When you precook your squash, sometimes water comes out and sometimes it doesn’t. No worries, both are normal.
- The cheese you choose for this dish makes ALL the difference for squash casserole! Choose a flavorful LOUD cheese. Something like “Helluva” brand or “Cabots” are always good choices.
- If you aren’t someone who loves garlic or thyme – I’m wondering why – but anyway – you can always just skip those two ingredients. They both add FLAVOR and that is what we are all about here at Loaves and Dishes!
KEEPING THIS RECIPE
- You CAN halve this recipe and it will serve two people very well for a couple of meals.
- I have a friend who freezes this recipe and says it is fine – but when I have tried it – it gets soupy.
- On the other hand – I think squash casserole is good for ANY meal – even breakfast. So, eat it three times a day and you should be able to eat it all before it goes bad.
- Keeps for several days in the fridge. Say whoa by 1 week though. You’ll be sick of it by that time anyway.
- Invite friends over to share in the bounty!
- You CAN divide this between several smaller baking dishes and give the others away!
- This dish will save for at least 2 days mixed up and ready to bake. Makes it perfect for a dinner where you need something prepared ahead of time.
PRO TIP: For an interesting twist on squash casserole, try changing up the upper crust topping with other crunchy options like canned fried onions, potato chips, other types of crackers, etc. Let your imagination run wild! You can also try other seasonings like Old Bay, Italian Seasoning, etc.
Pro Tip: You can use frozen pre-chopped onions in this recipe, I did – great time saver!
Pro Tip: You can use your meat tenderizer to gently smash the crackers while they are in the cracker sleeve (put them in the bowl first) and then you can simply open the sleeve and cracker crumbs slide out!
Interested in MORE Squash Recipes and other Casseroles?
Would You Love to Cook the PERFECT Southern Dinner?
IMAGINE YOU, COOKING THESE! YOU CAN DO IT TOO!
Served with (choose one)
Chicken Pie or
Add A little Yum Yum Sauce
And finish it all off with…
YA’LL HELP ME OUT, OK?
I need your help! Please leave me a 5 STAR 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 in the comments below ! This lets the internet know that THIS IS THE PLACE for wonderful comfort food!
Easy Cheesy Squash Casserole
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- ½ tsp garlic - minced
- 2 lbs yellow squash the smaller the better - Grate ½ the squash and slice and cut the rest into quarters.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup or mushroom or celery
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Cups white or yellow cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup American cheese food
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup of crushed butter crackers like Ritz (about 1 sleeve)
- ¼ Cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbs melted real butter
- Preheat the oven to 350. Chop the onion, mince the garlic, grate and slice the squash, grate the cheese and crush the crackers.
- Prepare a 9x12 baking dish with non stick spray.
- On the stovetop over medium heat in a large skillet, heat the onion and cook till translucent then add the garlic and cook until fragrant - about 1 minute.
- Add the squash and salt. Stir well and Add the lid and allow the squash to steam in their own juices. Keep cooking the squash until you can tell that water has been released from the squash and the squash are soft. Remove the lid and continue cooking until the water evaporates from the pan. Then remove from the heat and let rest.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, cheese and eggs and stir well.
- Once the squash have cooled somel, mix them into the soup mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake the squash at 350 for 25 minutes
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the crushed crackers, parmesan, thyme and butter. After the squash has baked for 25 minutes, remove it from the oven and sprinkle the cracker crumb mixture on the top. Put back in the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Choose young small brightly colored yellow squash with smooth skin. If you notice bad places, if they are huge or if the skin is starting to wrinkle then move along. Don't choose squash that are soft when you squeeze them.
- When you precook your squash, sometimes water comes out and sometimes it doesn't. No worries, both are normal.
- The cheese you choose for this dish makes ALL the difference. Choose a flavorful LOUD cheese. Something like "Helluva" brand or "Cabots" are always good choices.
***This post was originally published on Loaves and Dishes in June 9, 2017 and has been updated with “why this recipe works” ,step by step photos, video, more tips, updated recipe steps, more faq’s and MORE! ***
A VERSE TO SHARE
Lately, I’ve heard a lot about immigrants, foreigners, those who are having issues with gender and more. It strikes me that what I hear falls into the category of judging others, keeping them down and non-acceptance.
There are many complaints of “why do we do ______ but don’t care for veterans” “why do we do _____ but not ______” .
I’m pretty sure Jesus is saying “Take care of people who need taking care of” NOT “don’t take care of this one unless you also take care of that one”.
Matthew 25: 34-40