This creamy easy flavorful gravy will make the perfect gravy lake with your mashed potatoes and will drip onto and enhance everything about your perfect meat dish. Easy instructions and a video are here for how to make gravy without drippings.
This is a comforting and hearty gravy that is so easy that anyone can make it. No drippings, no special ingredients are required. You probably have everything you need right now. PLUS I give you some extra things you can do to add even MORE flavor!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
This recipe works because….
- It’s EASY!
- Uses typical pantry items
- Can be made exceptionally good with a few other additions
- Lot’s of uses
Here’s How It Is Done
First, melt the butter and add the oil. Saute the onions in the butter oil mixture.
Add the flour to the mix and allow the flour to cook for a few minutes.
Pour in the stock, slowly, whisking each time.
Finally, add the seasonings to the pan and stir until thickened.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ).
WHAT IS GRAVY ANYWAY?
Here is the real world definition of gravy: Gravy is a sauce for meats using the pan drippings that occur when cooking a meat and mixing those with flour or cornstarch as well as water or stock to make a sauce.
Here is MY definition of Gravy: Liquid Yum!
CAN I MAKE THIS GRAVY WITHOUT STOCK?
If you are going to make this gravy without any stock at all, then I suggest mixing 2 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon in 2 cups of warm water and use that in place of the stock.
WHAT IS A DRIPPING?
Drippings are the grease and small bits and pieces of meat that are typically left over after a piece of meat has roasted in a pan. Many recipes make great use of these leftovers for terrific sauces and gravies!
WHAT IS A PAN GRAVY?
A pan gravy is created from the drippings and some added seasonings by adding stock or water but it is not thickened.
WHY DOES GRAVY GET LUMPY?
Sometimes the flour clumps together instead of mixing and thickening. It happens.
HOW CAN I KEEP FROM GETTING LUMPY GRAVY?
- Whisk like crazy when you are adding to your gravy.
- Follow the instructions below and use cool broth to add to your pan ingredients.
- Add the flour and stock a little bit at the time and whisk briskly between each addition.
WHAT CAN I SERVE THIS GRAVY WITH?
Serve this gravy with…
- Roasted Turkey
- Pot Roast
- Any vegetables
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans (we love them that way)
- Pork Chops
- Fried Chicken
- And of course, Prime Rib
CAN I USE CORNSTARCH INSTEAD OF FLOUR?
Yes, if you are going to use cornstarch instead of flour,…
- Then cook the onion, garlic until soft, add the stock and other ingredients.
- Mix 1 tsp of cornstarch with 1 tsp cold water and stir until it loosens up and looks like milk.
- Pour this into the mix and stir well.
- Cook over medium heat.
- If it isn’t as thick as you like then repeat the cornstarch/water mix again.
- Repeat until the gravy is as thick as you like.
HOW CAN I MAKE GRAVY WITH DRIPPINGS?
If you are making gravy WITH drippings, that is a similar but different process.
- You will pour off all but 2 Tbs of grease,
- add the flour and cook it for 1 minute.
- Add the stock by ½ cup fulls to deglaze the pan (scrape up the bottom of the pan and whisk as you go).
HOW DO I MAKE GRAVY WITHOUT GIBLETS?
Just like the recipe card below, if you have some grease from the meat you have cooked, use that instead of the butter/oil.
WHAT SUBSTITUTIONS CAN I MAKE TO THE RECIPE FOR HOW TO MAKE GRAVY WITHOUT DRIPPINGS LISTED HERE?
- You can use onion, garlic, celery in any combination for the vegetables as noted in the recipe.
- If you don’t want to use any vegetables, then don’t. They are totally optional.
- It is fine to add some finely chopped mushrooms to the vegetable mix as well. They add a nice meaty flavor.
- You may leave off the Bouillon if you don’t have it. But these do add more flavor. You will likely find the concentrated bouillon with the broths at the grocery and the browning sauce in the spice/baking section or where you find the gravy packets.
- If you want to substitute cornstarch instead of flour, you can. Follow the instructions above.
- Supposing that you don’t have any store bought stock you can make an even tastier stock by making your own. Those directions are Here>> Easy Chicken Stock.
- This does work with either chicken, beef or vegetable stock.
- It’s ok to use margarine instead of butter if that is what you have, but butter ultimately tastes best.
- Yes, it’s fine to use some other oil besides vegetable oil (olive, canola, etc.)
- It’s fine to use self rising flour if that is what you have
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR HOW TO MAKE GRAVY WITHOUT DRIPPINGS
- Cook the veggies until they are very soft. It takes a few minutes.
- Let the flour cook for a couple of minutes. This will help your gravy be a darker prettier color.
- Whisk whisk whisk as you add the stock to help knock down any clumping that might happen.
- Add the other ingredients and let it cook for a little to help all the flavors get to know each other.
- The gravy will get thicker the longer it cooks.
- Make sure to keep stirring
- If you want thinner gravy, add more stock.
- Check out all the substitutions you can do in the heading above for how to make gravy without drippings.
Try These Other Great Gravies….
How to Make Gravy with Cornstarch
YA’LL HELP ME OUT, OK?
Be sweet and leave me a 5 STAR COMMENT 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 below, please. It helps others to find the recipes here at Loaves and Dishes.
Simply type in your comment and select the 5 STAR🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
I LOVE to read your comments and I always answer back as soon as I can (often within minutes from my cell phone).
Don’t forget to join me on social media and sign up for my newsletter so I can send you the HOT COOKING TIP of the WEEK!
THE RECIPE FOR HOW TO MAKE GRAVY WITHOUT DRIPPINGS
How to Make Gravy Without Drippings
- 2 Tbs of Butter
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 small onion minced very small
- 2 cloves garlic minced very small
- ¼ Cup All purpose flour
- 2 Cups Chicken stock
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf
- ¼ tsp Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 tsp Roasted Garlic flavor Better Than Bouillon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and vegetable oil together.
- Once melted, add the onion and garlic and cook till soft and fragrant
- Add the flour and cook for at least 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Pour the stock into the frying pay by the ½ cup full and whisk until smooth with each addition.
- Add the poultry seasoning, bay leaf, kitchen bouquet, Better than Bouillon, salt and pepper and allow to come to a slow boil.
- Cut the heat to low and taste. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- This is an easy recipe for how to make gravy without drippings.
- There are a lot of substitutions you can make and ingredients that you CAN leave off if you have to. These are listed in the post and on the recipe.
- The essential ingredients for this recipe are: butter or oil in the amount of 4 Tbs total, some sort of veggie from the following for flavor: onion, garlic, mushroom, celery.
- You will have to have something for thickening such as flour or cornstarch.
- Salt and pepper.
- A liquid like stock.
- You can make your own stock easily using veggies, meat or better than bouillon or even a bouillon cube melted in water (but if you use that, you will need to adjust the salt in the recipe).
- It is very important to whisk as you go to keep the clumps out of the gravy.
- The kitchen bouquet and Better than Bouillon are not completely necessary BUT they do add a tremendous amount of flavor.
- Both keep for a very long time and are worth the purchase.
- If you can’t find poultry seasoning, use 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp dried sage and 1 tsp dried rosemary to replace.
- You will probably have to add more salt and pepper as well.
- There are MANY tips in the post for this post (too many to put in the notes on this recipe), please read through the post if you need more info.
A VERSE TO SHARE
Just something to think about today…
Romans 12: 15-18
Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
Friday 13th of November 2020
5 stars! Easy & Flavorful. Thanks
Monday 16th of November 2020
Thursday 28th of March 2019
Thursday 28th of March 2019