You will find a TON of Cowboy recipes on Loaves and Dishes and at the risk of doing another one, I’ve decided to just call this one, Meat Lovers Quiche, because, well, you know, maybe Cowboys don’t even like meat? Who knows!
Around this neck of the woods, you’ll find Cowboy Lasagna with three kinds of meat, and you’ll find the best darn recipe for Cowboy Baked Beans that I have EVER tasted (if I say so myself). You’ll probably find a few more if you dig hard enough, but that’ll be enough to fill you up for now.
THIS Meat loavers quiche though, whooo weeee, it is easy and it is GOOD and it’s absolutely the perfect thing if you are having guests who you just aren’t sure what they like. Unless, of course, they are vegetarians, then that is another issue.
Simply use the best meats you can afford and this quiche will turn out just right. So, let’s get down to the questions on this one.
WHAT IS A QUICHE ANYWAY?
A quiche is a quick pie that is made up of eggs whisked together with milk or cream and poured into a pie shell over the top of some types of ingredients.
Quiche is often associated with fru-fru women’s parties but I’m asking you, what man doesn’t love eggs and meat for dinner? Hardly any. So, there you go. Just don’t say it’s a quiche. Call it a pie, because it is a kind of pie.
WHY DID MY QUICHE FALL OR COLLAPSE?
A quiche is like an egg pie and like most pies, it puffs as it cooks. Your quiche will definitely sink some when you remove it from the oven, so don’t let that bother you a bit.
Quiches can do some other quirky things too like cracking or taking too long to bake or going completely flat. These problems are generally caused by not following the recipe closely enough.
I try to make my instructions very clear, so you shouldn’t have a problem. Simply use the exact ingredients given and mix them as noted in the recipe and you will be fine. Don’t make any questionable substitutions.
IS QUICHE HEALTHY?
Again, like most everything, quiche is or is not healthy depending on what kind of diet you are trying to follow. If you are following NO DIET at all then, I think quiche is pretty healthy. It is full of protein and REAL ingredients.
If you are making this quiche yourself then you happen to know everything that went in there. Did you add any chemicals that you can’t pronounce the name of? Probably not. Good! Then, I say that is good for you.
IS THIS QUICHE LOW CARB?
This particular quiche works for a low carb diet.
IF, however, you are on a low fat diet or a no dairy diet or a no lactose diet or weight watchers or any of a myriad of other diets, then this might not be the right choice for you.
I’ll just add that whatever diet you are on or if you are on no diet at all, it is always best to use your head and think moderation. That is even biblical.
HOW LONG IS QUICHE GOOD FOR?
You can allow a hot quiche right out of the oven to sit out on the counter for up to two hours and after that, you should keep it in the refrigerator.
A quiche in the refrigerator is good for about 5 days. After that, you’ll notice that it gets a little watery and unappetizing. The good news is that quiche is great for any meal of the day!
CAN YOU FREEZE QUICHE?
Yes, you can freeze quiche. Simply wrap it well in plastic wrap and then freezer paper or place inside a freezer quality resealable bag. It will be good for up to a month.
HOW TO SERVE QUICHE.
Quiche is a wonderful dish to serve for a dinner with guests or for a simple and easy dinner for the family. It is easy to make, can be made ahead and then popped in the oven just before dinner.
You can serve quiche with a salad, soup or both and it makes a perfect light meal. In fact, we love to have our quiche with Texas Toast or any of these other dishes….
and you might want to try these other quiches!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MEAT LOVERS QUICHE
- It is important to use the proper crust. Use the one from the refrigerated section of the store, they come rolled up inside a box (there are two per box). I use the Pillsbury brand, I think they taste best and are worth the extra money from the store brand. (They do not pay me to say that, although, wouldn’t it be great if they did? lol).
- A second note about the pie shell, this is a LARGE quiche and consequently, it takes a LARGE pie plate. Please DO NOT try to pour this in one of those tiny tin pie plates with a tiny little crust in it from the freezer section. You will write me angry letters about how it made too much filling.
- IF you fill up your pie plate and have some quiche guts left over, simply spray a small ramekin with baking spray and pour the extra in there. Place the ramekin in the oven with your pie and you’ll have an extra little crustless quiche for a snack or breakfast on the go!
- You may use the pre-grated style of cheese, HOWEVER, it is always best to grate it yourself if you have time, I think it turns out better and melts better. I understand if time is at a premium or if you don’t have a grater. Trust me, a grater is worth a few dollars. I’ll include a link to a grater like I have, check it out.
- You will want to WHIP the egg and cream mix, but then just stir the meats and other stuff in. There’s no need to try to keep whipping.
TOOLS I USE FOR QUICHE
This box grater is similar to the one I use. You can pick up a suitable box grater at any walmart or Target or probably even at Dollar General. I just wanted you to see what it is that you are looking for. I am an Amazon affiliate and if you click the photo it will take you through to Amazon where you can compare prices. If you purchase through this link, I receive a commission.
Check out these pie crusts, because this is what you will look for at the grocery store. I’m sure your local grocery is more affordable than Amazon. I am an Amazon affiliate and if you purchase through this link, I earn a commission. (This is for an entire crate of them – you only need one box!)
YA’LL HELP ME OUT
Please leave me a 5 star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 comment below in the comment section for Meat Lover’s Quiche, all right? I would LOVE to know if you made this recipe or even if you are planning to! Of course, head on over to Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram and tag me with some photos of your creation!
I can’t wait!
Ya’ll know I love your comments!! ❤
THE RECIPE FOR MEAT LOVERS QUICHE
Meat Lovers Quiche
- 1 whole Unbaked Pie Shell (Crust) enough For A Deep Dish Pan - see the tips and tricks section
- 4 Slices of Bacon thick cut is best
- 1 whole sweet onion like Vidalia, chopped
- 4 oz breakfast sausage crumbled
- 8 whole large eggs
- 1 - 1 ½ Cups Heavy Cream if not available may use half and half
- Salt and Pepper about ½ tsp each.
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried ground garlic powder
- 1 Cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup grated pepper jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Remove the pie pastry from the box and bag, allow to sit out on the counter for 5 minutes. (see tips and tricks section of the post)
- Prepare a pie plate with baking spray, unroll the pie pastry and place it in the pie plate. Using your fingertips, flute the edges of the pie crust.
- In a frying pan on medium heat on the stovetop, fry the bacon until it is crispy. Remove from the frying pan and drain on paper towels on a plate.
- Using the same frying pan, cook the chopped onions until they are nearly see through, then remove to the plate with the bacon pieces.
- In the same frying pan, brown the sausage until it is just past pink (add a tablespoon of vegetable oil if you need to for in order to cook the meat), remove the sausage to the same plate with the bacon to drain once it is done.
- In a medium sized bowl, whip together the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder.
- Add the bacon, onions, sausage and grated cheeses to the egg mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and place the pie plate onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 40-45 minutes. Check the quiche and if it starts to look too brown on the crust, lay a piece of aluminum foil over the top.
- Bake another 10-15 minutes until the quiche is set (you can shake the edges of the pan and if it isn't sloppy loose but is wiggly all through out, then it’s just about done. You want it to just be a little wiggly in the center).
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- It is important to use the proper pie crust. Use the one from the refrigerated section of the store, they come rolled up inside a box (there are two per box). I use the Pillsbury brand, I think they taste best and are worth the extra money from the store brand. (They do not pay me to say that, although, wouldn’t it be great if they did? lol).
- A second note about the pie crust, this is a LARGE quiche and consequently, it takes a LARGE pie plate. Please DO NOT try to pour this in one of those tiny tin pie plates with a tiny little crust in it from the freezer section. You will write me angry letters about how it made too much filling.
- IF you fill up your pie crust and have some quiche guts left over, simply spray a small ramekin with baking spray and pour the extra in there. Place the ramekin in the oven with your pie and you’ll have an extra little crustless quiche for a snack or breakfast on the go!
- You may use the pregrated style of cheese, HOWEVER, it is always best to grate it yourself if you have time, I think it turns out better and melts better. I understand if time is at a premium or if you don’t have a grater. Trust me, a grater is worth a few dollars. I’ll include a link to a grater like I have, check it out.
- You will want to WHIP the egg and cream mix, but then just stir the meats and other stuff in. There's no need to try to keep whipping.
A VERSE TO SHARE
Some days your head is just empty. Do you ever feel that way? Me too, today especially. I’ll simply give you the reference for where I’ve been reading lately and I hope it uplifts you and gives you something to think about.
Just so you’ll know what led me to thinking about this verse, in the past few weeks more than one person has put kittens out on the main road where I live.
WHO THROWS KITTENS FROM THE WINDOWS?
The second batch of kittens seems to have been flung from the windows of the car as it sped along because the country highway where I live was littered with dead kittens for a couple of miles south. The dead kittens look just like the one who lived and is at my house.
What kind of person flings kittens from the car windows? I don’t know. Although I want to hurt those people myself, instead, I’m going to pray for them. I’m asking you to pray for them too.
The two kittens who landed at my house are ok and eating well. If they hang around for a little bit, I’ll take them to the vet and get their shots and have them “fixed” so that no more unwanted kittens will come through that line, at least.
That said, the animal shelter in the county where I live has struggled and is struggling with little funding, inappropriate help and a tiny building that doesn’t function like they need it to. Many things in this county are a priority over the animal shelter, and I understand that.
THINGS THAT ARE IMPORTANT…
Of course, we have to take care of schools, EMS, roads and many other things. However, we also have to find a way to humanely care for the animals and to prosecute those who do harm. That’s all I’ll say about that.
I simply ask you to support your own local animal shelter, humane society or whatever is active in your area. It’s important.
The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.