Freezing fresh onions is EASY and is a SUPER way to preserve the great taste and low prices of in season onions! Besides, when you know how to freeze onions, it only takes about 5 minutes!
These onions will be GREAT to use in all kinds of recipes! Broccoli Casserole, Baked Potato Casserole, Breakfast Casserole, even in Mushroom Cheese Turkey Burgers!
Why This Recipe Works…
- Saves Money!
- Can be used in all kinds of recipes!
Here’s How It is Done
STEP 1. Peel and Dice.
STEP 2. Spread them out so that they have plenty of room on a baking sheet
STEP 3. Place the tray into the freezer for at least 2 hours.
STEP 4. Remove and then measure out quantities for each bag. Label the bags before filling with onions for easy use.
Do Onions Freeze Well?
Yes, they do freeze well. Simply follow the recipe listed below.
Can You Freeze Onions?
Yes, you can freeze onions! It is so simple that you will be surprised! Follow the recipe card below. It’s one of the easiest vegetables to freeze!
Freeze Onions How Long?
Keep frozen onions for 6 months to 1 year. Be sure to keep them as close to 32C as possible. Squeeze as much air from the bag as possible before freezing.
How To Freeze Onions
Wash and cut the onions into bite size pieces and place on a flat sheet pan. Place baking sheet into the freezer for 2 hours. Remove and place into labeled freezer bags. Remove as much air as possible from the freezer bag. Lay the bags as flat as possible into the freezer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
How Do I Freeze Onions to Keep Them From Getting Mushy?
Freezing the onions individually and keeping them dry like described in the recipe card below will help to keep them from becoming overly mushy. However, all frozen veggies do become more mushy after freezing and you will want to use these in cooked items. Don’t plan to use them as you would fresh.
Do I Need To Wash Onions Before Freezing Them?
If they are unusually dirty, a rinse should be sufficient. However, you are peeling them and that should remove any suspicious dirt.
Do I Need To Thaw Onions Before Using Them?
No, you don’t need to thaw onions before using them. You can add them directly to the dish you are cooking and they will cook right up!
Add them to baked casseroles, soups and stir fries!
Can you Freeze Cooked Onions?
Yes! Absolutely! Put them in a freezer safe bag and freeze them for your next cooking project.
Save them in the amounts that you will use them because the frozen cooked onions will stick together in one clump.
How Do You Thaw Them?
There’s no need to thaw them before using in your recipe, but if you want to thaw them, run cool water over them for a minute or two. If you put the bag that they are frozen into the fridge, they will also thaw. You will notice a lot of liquid in the bag. No need to use this liquid in your recipe.
Can Frozen Onions Be Substituted For Fresh?
Yes, you can substitute for fresh in most cooking applications . You won’t want to use them in salads or anything where you would use fresh raw veggies.
Does Freezing Onions Affect the Taste?
Freezing onions does not affect the taste but does affect the texture. They become mushy after freezing as do all veggies. It is best to use them in baked and cooked dishes.
How To Know If Frozen onions are Bad
If you notice….
- The onions appears encased in ice crystals or frost
- If very light colored and dry
- If it has been in the freezer longer than 6 months.
- You note a lot of air in the package.
What’s the Best Way to Freeze onions?
- Simply follow the instructions listed below and you’ll have the very best method.
- Be sure to select unbruised, un-sprouted onions for freezing. The quality of what you freeze will be reflected in the final product you have at the end.
- It might be more information than you ever wanted to know, but the USDA can tell you all you want to know!
Tips and Tricks for Freezing Onions
- This recipe will work for ANY amount of Onions you want to freeze.
- The most important instruction is to spread the Onions out so that they have enough space between them that they won’t stick together.
- Best uses for these Onions will be stir fry, baking, and casseroles.
PRO TIP: Put as many of the frozen pieces as you want in a large gallon size Ziploc bag and just use the amount you need each time, reseal the bag and save it for later.
If You Want To Know More About Freezing Other Foods, Check Out….
Hey, Ya’ll, Help Me Out, OK?
Leave me a 5 STAR comment in the comment section below. This helps other people to find recipes on Loaves and Dishes!
How to Freeze Onions
- 1 lb onions you can use any amount of onions for this recipe
- Rinse the veggie well and allow to dry if there is obvious dirt.
- Peel and Dice the onions.
- Spread pieces out onto a baking sheet
- Place into the freezer and allow to stay there for at least 2 hours
- Remove from freezer and place in zip lock FREEZER bags. Squeeze out as much air as you can before sealing. Label the bag with sharpie marker.
- Place back in the freezer and you can use as much as you need from the container for 6 months - 1 year.
- This recipe will work for ANY amount of onions you want to freeze.
- The most important instruction is to spread the onions out so that they have enough space between them that they won't stick together.
- Best uses for these peppers will be stir fry, baking, and casseroles.
A VERSE TO SHARE
This morning, although I wasn’t really willing, I heard the word of a radio preacher. He was talking about the covenant we have with God as believers. While I’m not sure I completely agree with the preacher and what he said, I do believe in the covenant we have with God.
2 Kings 17:38-39
Monday 24th of August 2020
Thanks loved it
Tuesday 25th of August 2020
You'll be so glad to have those onions at some point in the future! I'm always tickled when I look in the freezer and see that I have them!
Friday 25th of October 2019
aggregate rating test