This chicken is so easy that you can fix this in the morning and have it ready to go in the oven when you walk in the door. OR, you can whip it up in about 10 mins and be at the table eating dinner in less than an hour. So easy and a mostly in one dish recipe. Its like going to Cancun with your girlfriends for an all inclusive vacation- veggies and meat all in one dish and only two dirty dishes! YAY for you!
I’ll tell you a secret – if you ask my husband, he will tell you flat out – “I don’t like bell peppers, onions and I really don’t like zucchini – especially after that one diet we did” I fixed this dish the other day for dinner and had to leave it on the stove for him because I had to go meet someone. I expected to walk in the door and find him eating a banana sandwich instead of what I had left him. What I saw when I came in the back door astounded me, I saw a cleaned plate and heard, “Honey, will you fix me another plate of that – it’s the best I’ve had”. “Sure!”, was my reply. I never told him that it was full of things he doesn’t like. That is the beauty of this recipe – your family won’t know either and they will be getting the “good for you” veggies anyway.
At first glance, it may seem like a lot of chopping – but it isn’t. Remember the peppers from the “Preserving Peppers” Post? I just took them out of the fridge and threw them right in the pan! Zucchini isn’t hard to cut up and neither is onion or tomato! A few minutes of cutting up veggies in trade for a delicious dinner – easy!
Let’s Eat Ya’ll!
He will cover you with His pinions, And under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark. ~ Psalm 91:4
Easy Chicken and Veggies
- 2 large chicken breasts or 4 small cut large breasts in half like a book opens
- 1 egg
- 1 Cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Zucchini cubed
- 1 onion course dice
- 1 to mato course dice
- 1 red or green bell pepper course dice
- ½ block of cream cheese cut into pea sized pieces
- 1/2 Cup sharp cheddar
- 1/4 Cup parmesan
- ½ Cup mozzarella
- 5 Basil leaves cut chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 400
- Put heavy skillet on stove top and preheat to medium and place 2 Tbs of oil in the pan
- In a bowl, beat egg with 2 tbsp water
- In a separate bowl mix bread crumbs, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Use egg wash (egg water mixture) to wet the chicken breasts and then dredge them through the breading (pat the breading into and on the chicken breasts).
- Place only two breasts in the hot frying pan at a time and allow to sear on each side for 2-3 mins. Remove to a plate and then fry the other two breasts the same way.
- In the same hot pan, add two more Tbsp of oil and allow to heat. Add the onion, pepper, zucchini to the pan and cook until starting to soften – 2-3 mins. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place vegetables in the bottom of a 9x9 casserole dish or dish of equivalent size.
- Dot the cream cheese pieces around the vegetables. Sprinkle with ½ of the cheddar and the ½ the mozzarella cheese.
- Place the tomatoes on top of the cheese mix and sprinkle with the basil and the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
- Place chicken on top of the tomatoes and cheese and sprinkle with the remaining half of sharp cheddar and the parmesan.
- Sprinkle Dried Thyme over the top
- Bake at 400 for 20 mins or until the juices run clear.
the Post Blog Dessert.
Recently, my husband, daughter and I drove up to Virginia and had a lovely lunch with my husband’s children in honor of Stephen’s birthday. It was a sunny and warm day – but not too warm. After lunch the kids (who aren’t really kids anymore – but they will always be kids to me) went for a walk outside the restaurant. When they didn’t return fairly quickly, my husband and I went looking for them. We found them in a field taking pictures of one another. My step daughter, who is an avid photographer had brought her new camera with her. Soon, they had Mark and me involved in the photo shoot as well. Ashley took this photo and I really love it. So, I’m including it here.