Some things just don’t go as planned, which aptly describes much of my life. I am not some Eeyore type with my glass half empty. Mr. Loaves and Dishes and I
argue about discuss this a lot. He says I’m a pessimist, I say I am a realist. Thank goodness I always have a plan B because today I saved you from the orange nightmare that is Garlic, Roasted Red Pepper and Bacon Pasta . Sounds delish. But instead, “BLECH! SPIT IT OUT!”. So, I can’t bring that to you today. Instead,I am going to save you some money! YAY! I’m going to show you How to Make Simple Syrup! .
First of all, let me say, if you are going to the grocery and paying $3.08 for simple syrup, STOP IT RIGHT NOW! That is silly. The rest of you might be wondering “what IS simple syrup anyway and why would I need some”? Simple syrup is often used in making cocktails (the mixer section of the grocery was where I found this bottle). Simple syrup is also used for making delicious candied fruits, for baking ( moist cake), for making sorbets, for making flavored sodas, for sweetening coffees and my most favorite use of all – DELICIOUS SOUTHERN ICED TEA!
I know, I know the recipe seekers are restless. I normally put the recipe right after the second paragraph – but I ran my mouth too long this time – so here is the recipe. It is exactly ONE STEP more than boiling water. Anyone (and I do mean anyone) can make a simple syrup! It is EASY!
THE RECIPE FOR HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Bring one cup of water to a boil over medium heat on the stovetop in a sauce pan. Add the one cup of sugar all at once and stir. Remove the pan from the heat and continue stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to cool and use your simple syrup in whatever manner you desire.
TIPS AND TRICKS ABOUT HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE SYRUP
- Really? You think I have tips and tricks about such a simple recipe? I’m kind of embarrassed to even call it a recipe.
- My best tip is to never pay $3.08 for simple syrup (or any amount of money) for simple syrup at the grocery or anywhere else, ever.
- Let’s figure out the markup on this product. Water – I am going to assume that you already have water coming into your home that you already pay for – therefore, 1 cup of water is already covered. If a 5lb bag of sugar (which really weighs about 4lbs) costs $3.00. There are 2.25 Cups per pound of sugar = 10 cups of sugar for $3.00. 1 cup of sugar costs 0.30c. Therefore, not including the cost of turning your stove on, the bottle of simple syrup you would buy at the store would be worth about 0.60c or less. You can spend the remaining $2.48 plus tax on something else! YAY YOU!!!
Let’s talk for a moment about that Iced Tea! We have a constant problem at our house. Mr Loaves and Dishes, the sweet hubby, and I like our iced tea only slightly sweet. Sandy likes her iced tea nearly thick with sweetness. Our son in law likes his tea with no sugar sweetener at all. See the problem? Simple syrup fixes ALL OF THAT. A simple syrup will last a really long time in the fridge, just put some in a mason jar and let your friends wonder what is in the jar! Lol. I digress. Anyway, you can add some to your iced tea until the tea is the right sweetness for you! End of the problem!
OTHER STUFF BESIDES HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE SYRUP!
I just wanted to share a couple of things with you all. I have been using my new camera to take photos recently for engagements, weddings, graduations, you know, that kind of thing. On the way home on a lovely Saturday evening from one such event, the view was just so breathtaking I had to stop and take a few pictures. I just can’t imagine anything more beautiful that this red clay freshly planted, the beautiful mountain backdrop and the blue sky of rural Stokes County, North Carolina. I think it is in my veins. Lord knows, that red clay stains everything else, it might as well stain my my blood too.
AND…. my garden is FINALLY planted. The fence is fixed and the horse is no longer tramping through it. Don’t even get me started on the horse. She isn’t even my horse. She is my ex-huband’s ornery old horse and I have been taking care of her for the past 25 years. I don’t even ride horses. If you REALLY want to get back at an ex, leave them your horse when you go. Just sayin.
Please let me know if you try this simple syrup and what you used it for. I’m curious. The comment section is WAY on down at the bottom of the page.
Ya’ll come on back soon and Let’s Eat!
And to this – all I can say is Hallelujah and Praise the Lord – we are built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit!
19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit. ~Ephesians 2:19-22