Have you EVER tried to peel a hard boiled egg only to have all of the white stick to the shell and the egg to fall completely apart? Yeah me too! Mostly when I’m scheduled to bring deviled eggs to a gathering. Today I’ll share THE SECRET TO EASY PEELING HARD BOILED EGGS
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PEEL A HARD BOILED EGG?
What is the best way to peel a hard boiled egg – is likely your question. The answer to that question follows, but the first thing you need to know is how to best cook the egg so that it peels easily.
HOW DO YOU BOIL EGGS SO THAT THEY PEEL EASILY?
In figuring out the best way to easily peel an egg, you first have to know the best way to cook the egg AND the best way to stop the egg from cooking. You’ll definitely want a perfect bright even yellow in the egg you cook, so you’ll want to know the best way to cook a hard boiled egg.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A PERFECT BOILED EGG?
The way to make a perfect boiled egg is to cook it for the EXACT amount of time listed in the recipe below. You certainly want a fully cooked yolk with no green rim around the outside. That is the easy part. The hard part is peeling the egg so that the white doesn’t stick to the shell.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SECRET TO EASY PEELING HARD BOILED EGGS
The most important thing you need to know is some egg anatomy. Inside the egg, before you break it – the yolk is suspended mid egg by those two little white strings that you sometimes see when you crack the egg. The strings are called the Chalaza (no test later, just an interesting fact).
There is also an airspace (usually at the large end of the egg) that allows the contents some cushion. The airspace is located on the OUTSIDE of the membrane that you find just inside the shell.
As an egg ages, the airspace becomes larger and the membrane starts to breakdown slightly.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE AIRSPACE AND MEMBRANE?
Use older eggs for making boiled eggs. That’s it. The most important fact to understand when boiling eggs.
A fresh egg has a strong inner membrane that adheres strongly to the shell and the white of the egg. As the membrane weakens with egg, it becomes MUCH easier to separate from the shell. Thus, peeling the egg becomes much easier!
You can see a great diagram of that HERE>>> SCIENCE OF COOKING
HOW DO I KNOW HOW OLD AN EGG IS?
There is a precise way that you can determine how old your store eggs are. There is an excellent article HERE>>>> FRESH EGGS DAILY
Don’t let that weird you out. You are probably under the false assumption that eggs go bad quickly, when in fact, they do not.
I have raised chickens for years and I can tell you from experience that fresh from the barn eggs stay good – even unrefrigerated – for a long long time. Store bought eggs will stay good for a long time, but refrigerate because they have been washed with substances that wash off the natural protection.
RECIPE FOR THE SECRET TO EASY PEELING HARD BOILED EGGS
- Eggs to be boiled (use the older eggs in your fridge for the best luck with peeling).
- If your eggs are NEW - follow the second set of directions.
- Enough water to cover the eggs
- Fill saucepan with enough cool water to cover the eggs in question.
- Gently place eggs in the saucepan and place on stovetop over medium high heat.
- Heat to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and allow the eggs to sit on the stovetop on the eye for 5 minutes.
- Gently pour off the hot water and flush the pan with cold water from the tap. Run the cold water over the eggs for 2-3 minutes. Allow the eggs to sit in the cool water until the eggs are cool to touch.
- Peel the eggs as follows
- Give the egg a hard rap on the counter top on the large end of the egg
- Run cold water through the tap
- Hold the egg under the running water and allow the water to run over the cracked area.
- Use the water to help you slip the shell off.
- FOR NEWER EGGS:
- Simmer water on the stove top. Use eggs STRAIGHT from the fridge - COLD. Do not have water at a rolling boil - just a constant simmer. Cook the eggs for 11 minutes. Exactly. Then remove to a medium sized bowl of ice water. Thus shocking them and stopping the cooking process. Let sit for 15 minutes and then peel under cold running water.
TIPS AND TRICKS for THE SECRET TO EASY PEELING HARD BOILED EGGS
- I think I already reviewed all of the tips and tricks but here is a more concise list:
- Use the older eggs in your fridge for boiling – if using newer eggs – then follow the explicit instructions for newer eggs.
- Keep some eggs in your fridge that are just for boiling – rotate them out as some other eggs get older. If you don’t have room or time for this, then follow the instructions for newer eggs in the recipe.
- Start with cool water in your pan for older eggs. Start with simmering water for newer eggs.
- Boil for 5 minutes for older eggs. 11 minutes for newer eggs.
- Let set for 5 minutes for older eggs. Let set for 11 minutes for newer eggs.
- Run under cold water to stop the cooking – use ice water for the newer eggs.
- Let sit in cold water for 5 minutes for older eggs. Let sit for 15 minutes for newer eggs.
- Rap on the countertop on the large end
- Use running water to help remove the shell from the egg.
OTHER IDEAS FOR PEELING AN EGG
If you google search the internet you will find lots of other ideas for how to best peel an egg. Are they valid? Probably. If you use an older egg. However, if you have a new egg – nothing is going to help you with that shell. It’s just biology. Pure and simple.
That said, maybe you have some other fool proof method for peeling eggs. Please share it with us in the comments! I would love to hear what you have to say!
IF YOU ENJOYED THE SECRET TO EASY PEELING HARD BOILED EGGS, YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY…
A VERSE TO SHARE
What is Satan to you? Is there a Satan? Some people say there isn’t. Is there only bad acting people? I guess that is something for all of us to decide on our own. I do know this. Jesus says that there is a Satan and that he is a liar. That’s good enough for me.
So, when I learn something that is touted as true – but I am certain it isn’t – then I know where that came from.
John 8: 42-47
Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. 4Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.