Hello my dear readers! I hope that this Friday is finding you well! I am SO GLAD that spring has SPRUNG here in North Carolina! Shorts, t-shirts and flip flops HERE I COME! With spring comes eating a little lighter at our house – probably at yours too. Who says comfort foods can’t be a little lighter? Not me! Say HELLO to Southwest Chipotle Chicken Salad! You will never know you are eating lighter with this salad on your plate.
This salad is a decadent salad full of meaty hardiness, even if it isn’t filled with meat. I live with someone who notices if there isn’t at least 6 ounces of meat on his plate at night (uh-hmmm <throat clearing> Mark Spraker). When I make this salad though – I only make two chicken breasts and I cut those in half. We usually have a whole chicken breast left over for lunch the next day (so we can both have another salad!). See – I told you it is eating lighter.
Now – please – no one tell Mark Spraker what is in this salad because he doesn’t like greek yogurt and if someone tells him, he will never eat it again. You can substitute sour cream for the greek yogurt and it just as yummy – but he doesn’t like sour cream either. So SHHHHHHhhhhhhh. I am banking on him not reading this post. He read the last several posts – so, he will probably feel that he can skip out on his editing duties with this one.
Please come back next week for some WHOPPING GOOD FUN when we celebrate 1970’s week here at Loaves and Dishes!
I just can’t go another paragraph without sharing with you that my back yard cherry tree is almost ready to bloom. Cherry blossoms are my FAVORITE part of spring. Well, that and green returning to the color palate – but it is one of my favorites! So beautiful! Please, please, please – share with me in the comments following the recipe what your favorite part of spring is!?! I would love to know!
Serving Suggestions for Southwest Chipotle Chicken Salad
I recommend serving this salad with a small piece of crusty bread and a cool glass of iced tea. Delish!
Don’t forget to check out the LOVE THESE list of items for your kitchen!
Make Dinner, Not War
The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him. ~ Daniel 9:9
Southwest Chipotle Chicken Salad
- For the sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2/3 cup greek plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tbs minced chipotle chilis canned in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 tsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- For the salad
- 2 cups chopped roasted boneless chicken breasts 2 breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 cups fresh lettuce – any type
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in quarters
- ½ cup diced and peeled avocados
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 can black beans- rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn – rinsed and drained
- Mix ingredients for the sauce together.
- Heat 2 tbs of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken breast in the frying pan – about 3-5 minutes per side.
- While chicken is cooking, mix salad ingredients together in a bowl.
- When chicken is done (juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink in the center), assemble the salad. Salad topped with chicken – dress with sauce.